We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clamming and the razor clam festival

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
clamming and the razor clam festival

I'm thing about going clamming on long beach:

1. What kind of shoes should I wear? I've got some waterproof boots I can wear myself that go up to just above the ankle - will that work? My friend and her kids only have tennis shoes and sandals - are their feet going to freeze to death?

2. My friends kids are 11 and 6. Is the 6 year old too young? I don't want her to get swept into the ocean or something.

3. Only me and the kids will be clamming. My friend wants to walk with us and watch her daughter while we clam on the beach but she won't be collecting any clams herself. Will she need a permit too?

4. Is the razor clam festival worth going to? Low tide is earlier in the morning on the day of the festival so since I'm doing a day trip from Portland, I'd rather pick a day I can wake up later on and would skip the festival unless it sounds interesting. Do they let you sample a number of different clam chowders for not too much cost?

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clamming and the razor clam festival

(1) Wear the tall, waterproof boots. Do not wear tennis shoes or sandals. That will result in very cold feet. (2) 6 is not too young. A parent or other adult ALWAYS needs to keep an eye on children at the beach, and NEVER turn your back on the ocean. A sneaker wave would come in and get you.(2) Clam permits are for clamming, not walking. (4) Only you will know if it is "worth it". It is to some people, and not to others. Chuck...

Here are two links to help you further:

http://funbeach.com/

…wa.gov/fishing/…current.html

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clamming and the razor clam festival

Thanks.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clamming and the razor clam festival

I would bring camp kitchen items to cook some of your spoils -- has the double benefit of reinforcing what you are going clamming FOR, and warming people up.

Have the kids wear snowpants. They will stay a lot warmer even if the pants get a little wet. Get an old pair at the goodwill or on sale at a winter clearance if you don't have any.

Reply to: clamming and the razor clam festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach