We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycling - terrain/how long?

WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycling - terrain/how long?

I would love to hear from someone who knows Lopez Island. We are planning on taking our bicycles on the ferry and going over and am trying to figure out the best route for an approximately 5 hour ride. The ferry gets in at 11:30am and leaves at 5pm and we want to stop to eat at the village too if possible. I'm getting conflicting advice on the terrain, some say it's flat... some hilly. So I'm just not sure how to plan this out! Please help!! Thanks so much :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

We enjoy bicycling Lopez Island. For the most part, gradual ascents/descents. Be aware though that from the ferry dock it's an uphill slog. Plenty of scenic places, Shark Reef, Spencer Spit, et al.

I Googled Lopez Island bicycling maps: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Lopez+Island+bicycle+map

Lots of choices on that page.

Here's a decent map and the route goes to the major scenic places.

http://www.lopezisland.com/tourroutemap.htm

For really good food, starting at 530 PM, I'd get the later ferry: http://www.bay-cafe.com/

Edited: 02 October 2010, 00:25
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

I meant to add, learn "the wave" and dining choices might depend both on the weather and when you decide to say "enough".

WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

Thanks for your help! I'm just not sure if we can get to Shark Reef and back within 5 hours based on the terrain? I'm wondering which path will be the least amount of hills. It's hard to determine that based on the maps out there as they don't come with time estimates. Our bikes are not equipped for riding in the dark, so we need to hit that 5pm ferry!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

www.lopezbicycleworks.com/bikeshopmap.pdf

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

Time? It depends on you.

Why not pick an average speed comfortable for you, add a fudge factor for stops, viewing, etc., and, given the distances on the websites provided, you can determine the time between points. Go, you'll have fun.

http://www.mapmyride.com/

WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

Thank you! I printed out this map. My fear stems from a bike ride we did a couple weeks ago from Kingston loop around to Point-no-Point where I estimated 3-4 hours after all my research and it ended up taking us 7 (including ferry ride) and got home after dark!! I didn't anticipate the hills would slow us down so much! I think we'll stick to one side of the island and time as we go to see how much we'll need to get back. Thanks again for all your help... much appreciated :)

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

Hi graceshan. Please give us a trip report from Lopez. I'd love to hear how your bike ride went.

We (6 of us) plan on doing a full day ride and dinner on the island next fall. We may just pick a couple of destinations and visit. Or depending on if we feel pretty feisty do a full island tour. Are you riding mt bikes, road, hybrid?

Anyway have fun and report back. Thanks

WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

We had a lovely day on Lopez! We took the 10:35am ferry and we were off the boat and biking at 11:30am. We have hybrids and although the first part was a little rough (from the ferry up) after awhile it was pretty decent riding. There are some hills but mostly a lot of rolling terrain and lovely country roads. It took us about 1 hour and 40 minutes to get from the ferry to Shark Reef Park and we are by no means fast riders. So I was pleasantly surprised. We spent some time hiking around there watching the seals play in the water and then headed to the village after that and ate lunch at Love Dog Cafe which was great! Then we bought treats at the bakery and fudge shop and sat on the beach for awhile just enjoying the sun. We made it back to the ferry just a few minutes before the 5pm ferry and headed home watching the sunset in our rear-view mirror! Wonderful day overall. I don't know if we could have done the entire island in our time frame, but we sure could have looped over to the other side of the island had we not planned to eat in the village. There were a lot of others out and about on bicycles and the locals were very friendly as well. Hope this helps :)

Edited: 04 October 2010, 17:30
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

Good to hear, thank you for your TR.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bicycling - terrain/how long?

Thanks for your report. Glad you had a great day and nice weather on the island. Sounded like enjoyable riding.

We will probably take the 8:30am from Fri Harbor and return on the 7pm. If we choose a nice day, we will pack lunches and ride the whole island. Then probably wind it down around Lopez Village into the early evening hour. We definitely plan on doing dinner before the ferry ride back to FH. The Bay Cafe sounds intriguing. "Thanks for recommending voyaging"

Appreciate you posting the day. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Lopez Island