We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

Which Mount Vernon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson
1 post
Save Topic
Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

I used to live in Seattle but for the last 15 years have lived in Tucson, Arizona. We are wanting to come back the the Pacific Northwest and be closer to family who live in Seattle and Olympia area. However, we would live to get away from a lot of traffic and closer to mountains and streams. It seems like Mount Vernon would be nice but I only think I passed through it as a kid. One post said there isn't much to do in Mount Vernon so is it rather boring or do you think this would probably be a great place to relocate to? We are middle age. Thank you.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

It really depends on what kind of things you are interested in. Personally, I would aim a bit further north and head to Bellingham if you want a larger city or west to Anacortes (not that I am prejudice or anything).

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

I grew up in a town south of Seattle. I have lived north of Seattle for over 12 yrs now. I always like visiting old town Mount Vernon and the Tulip Festival in the spring. I always thought of MV as a rural farm town but, I do not feel that way so much anymore. Granted I have never lived in MV however, lately when I have been there the streets in and around MV seem to be just as busy as any other town in the south end. Mt. Vernon, Marysville, Stanwood and Arlington all experienced a great deal of growth when the housing market forced families out of the "city" to areas with "affordable" housing. Marysville seeing the biggest growth in my opinion. The traffic on I-5 north from Lynnwood through Marysville is often slow going daily after 3 p.m. I sometimes have seen the backup reach Arlington exits.

If it is has been a while since you have been here you might want to come visit for a few days. Lynden is a nice area that still has that rural- farm away from it all feeling. I am thinking though, Lynden might be a greater distance from your family that you would like. Anyway, just my thoughts. Best of luck to you.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

relocation info isn't encouraged here, but you could search some old Money or Kiplinger articles. Bellingham has been mentioned quite a few times due to it being a college town and its proximity to both Vancouver and Seattle.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

I agree that you should make a quick trip up here. Relocate or not, there is a lot of great stuff going on that the regular tourist does not see.

Visit some country towns like Monroe, Duvall and other towns which are close in but still country. I-5 has the worst traffic because of through-driving pressure, though everywhere around here has bad rush hours.

The Sunday Seattle times profiles a town each week in the Real Estate section. You should do some research there for your trip.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

I believe there's a brew pub. What more do you need?

:-)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

Before TA deletes this string as it deal with relocation, you might provide more details about your wants and needs. Are you employed or seeking employment? What housing costs are comfortable? Why not consider Tacoma/Olympia corridor (especially with the heavy traffic on I-5)?

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

There is another website that is more about demographics, relocating, etc, and you should be able to get better information there. Hopefully TA won't mind me linking you to this site, it is not a travel sight.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington/

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

There is less development south and east of Olympia than in Mount Vernon. If you want less traffic and still north of Everett you might check out Edison but it is really small not even a grocery store.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

Think about visiting the Bremerton area via the Seattle ferries. Lots of changes and renovation going on in Bremerton. Poulsbo, Port Orchard, Belfair are all easily accessible, and then west/north to Port Townsend and the peninsular region.

10. Re: Thinking of moving to Mount Vernon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Mount Vernon
More Mount Vernon Topics