We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juans or Gulf Islands???

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Juans or Gulf Islands???

I am planning a trip to British Columbia, including Vancouver, Whistler, etc. I would like to spend a few days either on Salt Spring Island or Orcas Island before arriving in Seattle for a convention. About fifteen years ago I spent a delightful three days on Orcas. It would be great to return there, but then maybe I would be missing a wonderful experience exploring Salt Spring Island. Can anyone tell me how the islands differ and which one offers the most in the way of tranquility and scenic beauty. Would I be disappointed in Salt Spring after enjoying Orcas so much?? Maybe there are other options that I haven't even considered for this trip. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Juans or Gulf Islands???

I have both sailed and driven to Saltspring and like it a lot. However, as with Orcas, I disliked the lack of access to coastline as is available on San Juan Island. If Salt Spring can be part of your plan, sure. It's been a few years since I've been to Saltspring but I wonder if SJI still offers more variety, things to see and to do, as well as accessible coastline.

You might compare what you learn regarding Saltspring to San Juan Island, here:

http://www.saltspringisland.org/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

I posted several websites on the latter to provide more, and necessary, information.

2. Re: San Juans or Gulf Islands???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Orcas Island