We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Birthday

macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
50th Birthday

Hi

I will be 50in Feb 2013, and would love to come out to Orca Island to see the Orca Whales, I would like to spend a few days on the Island too.

I am trying to find out where I would fly to from England and then how wouldI get out to the Island, also when is the best time to see the whales, I dont mind waiting a few months after February solang as I get to see them.

Anybody got any ideas on any companies that do tailor made holidays, or am I best booking everything seperately, and to secure accomodatrion on the Island when isd the best time to book.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it

Thanks

Michelle

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th Birthday

This article will inform you re: the best times for watching different whale species. It includes some whale watch folks.

gonorthwest.com/Washington/Activities/whales…

February is not a great month to visit; June through September, even October, would be far better. Better weather, long days, etc.

Find a place you like and reserve as soon as you have a fix on your dates. You can also reserve a place on a whale watch cruise. You don't need a tailor made holiday.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

An official and very helpful guide to the islands.

http://www.visitsanjuans.com/

You will probably rent a car upon landing (airport or downtown). This will provide flexibility in exploring the area and the islands.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 20:49
macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th Birthday

Thanks for that!

We are looking at May 2013. Are you saying to reserve some where now?

Are plan is to go to Boston for a week, then fly to Seattle for a week and within that week come over to the Island to see the whales.

Also whilst in Seattle are we best booking a hotel or bed and breakfast. Could you give me any info on this too.

Thank you again for the info on the Islands

Michelle

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50th Birthday

Here's a more detailed report of when you're likely to see orcas. You should see some in May, though perhaps not as many as in summer.

whale-museum.org/education/…arrivals.html

May can be very unpredictable in the Northwest--it could be cool, gray and rainy, or we could have some nice weather too. If you visit in summer you're going to have a better chance of good weather, but I know some people would rather travel when it's less expensive and less crowded, and take the risk of bad weather. Just make sure you are okay with inclement weather if you pick May to do these outdoor activities.

If your primary focus is whales, you might consider staying on San Juan island, rather than Orcas. I personally think Orcas is the most scenic of the San Juans, but you will most likely need to be on a whale watching boat to see them from Orcas. On San Juan Island, on the other hand, you may see them from the western shore. There is also the Whale Museum on San Juan Island, in Friday Harbor.

No you don't need to book now for 2013.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 22:45
macclesfield
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50th Birthday

We could do June I suppose.

You have been very helpful.

I will look at the other Island.

Yes it has been my dream to see Orca whales, and I would also like to visit Seattle, where my husband wants to see Boston, so we thought we would do it all in one trip.

Thankyou

Michelle

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50th Birthday

I think all 3 of the populated islands, deserve a visit (Lopez,SanJuan,Orcas) but if seeing Orcas is your main goal. I would stay on San Juan Island. There are quite a few spots on land you can see them, if they are hugging the west coast of SJI. SJ County Park, Lime kiln SP, the Land Banks, and South Beach to the lighthouse, come to mind. You can drive to any of these. I have only been out with 1 whale outfitter, that is Jim Maya of Maya Charters. He only takes 6 people per tour, and he is located in Snug Harbor. (Right on the west coast of SJI). We went out with him twice and saw both Orcas and humpbacks. There are other companies in Friday Harbor, I can only vouch for his.

Here's a TR I posted from this fall. There are also some pix of what you can expect to see.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58727-i3427-k4875…

You will love these islands.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50th Birthday

This is the page I meant to send showing the best months, more or less, for all species, not just Orcas.

island-adventures.com/whale-watching-tours/i…

I agree with San Juan Island for the above reasons and more. See the website/article sent, above and following. Lots to see and to do. If you have the time, Orcas then Lopez Islands.

Note the ferry suggestions in this article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50th Birthday

I agree with staying on San Juan Is. The opportunity to see whales on more than one occasion shouldn't be passed up since that's your primary goal.

Enjoy your visit,

chuck

Chicago suburbs...
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50th Birthday

It was some time ago, but there was an outfit called Mosquito Fleet - went with them and saw lots of orcas. It was a nice ride. Are they still around? Don't see anything about them anywhere...

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 50th Birthday

I've not heard of them in the last (yikes) 40 years I've lived in Seattle area. Are you sure it was that fleet or, perhaps, the Virginia V?

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Puget_Sound_Mosquito_Fle…

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 50th Birthday

Just so you know, Orcas Island is not named for orcas at all. It is named after a person whose name was "Orcas".

Get answers to your questions about Orcas Island
Recent Conversations