We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Daughter Adventure

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Daughter Adventure

Hi!

My mom and I are planning a trip to San Juan Islands for Spring of 2012. We are planning to fly in (From Michigan) to Seattle ,then after much advisor research, renting a car and spending the day driving up to Anacortes and taking a ferry over to stay on San Juan Island. (Possibly Wildwood B&B)

We are planning to spend almost a week, and it looks like for our interests staying near Friday Harbor will suit us best. While having a rental will allow us to go to Orcas for a day trip if desired as well as tour San Juan.

Of course we plan to whale watch and do some hiking, shopping, and relaxing. This is truly a dream come true to be sharing such a special experience, I am 26 and my mother is 50, so we decided to do this adventure together. I have been looking into the first week of May.

I have been reading post after post and so many B&B reviews I am going cross eyed, SO I have no intention to be redundant here, only looking for any heloful tips that people are willing to share. To make this experience for me and my mom the trip of a lifetime. Thank you for any help, comments, tips.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Mother Daughter Adventure

Sea-Tac to Deception Pass Bridge: I'd allow 2.5 hours, you never know the traffic you'll encounter, though 2 is reasonable since it's later in the day on a Saturday.

Deception Pass bridge to the terminal, a half hour, sounds about right. I'd be in the terminal parking lot an hour before the scheduled departure time, though you might not need to do so... it's not a ferry I'd want to miss.

Ferry departure? I assume you mean the 8:25 PM ferry for Friday Harbor.

I might have provided this, very useful... Each ferry route has the following table;

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/spr…

Edited: 12 April 2012, 21:48
Friday Harbor...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Mother Daughter Adventure

Sounds like a fabulous trip. The visitsanjuans.com, the official website of the San Juan Island Visitors bureau provides a wealth of information about the Islands and what to do once you are here. Many guests who visit the Island prefer to stay in walkable historic downtown Friday Harbor. It is a quaint seaside hamlet convenient to restaurants, shops, whale watching, and lodging (there are several nice b&b’s a few steps from the ferry landing). Staying in town you have the option of doing a lot on foot or even visiting the island as a foot passenger – a great eco-friendly option. You might consider flying into Friday Harbor Marina on Kenmore air. They offer a float plane service from Lake Union (Seattle) which lands right in the main harbor. If you are coming toward the end of May, the Victoria Clipper offers a food passenger ferry service from downtown Seattle. Many guests find visiting the Islands without a car very liberating. You can get around by bicycle, Island transit bus (seasonal service) or via moped or Scootcar.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Mother Daughter Adventure

" You can get around by bicycle, Island transit bus (seasonal service) or via moped or Scootcar."

Most flexibility is by car on this large island, which they will have. The Scootcars might be fun, but they are slow with, apparently, a maximum speed on level ground, 30 mph, and hard to see, even with a pennant flying. Not nice to have, IMO, on narrow island roads. And rather challenging for car drivers going twice as fast on hills and curves, when coming onto one unexpectedly.

This is why Lopez, "flatter" and with less traffic, is a better biking island.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 00:01
Friday Harbor...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Mother Daughter Adventure

Yes I agree that there are pluses and minues about bringing a car to the Island. In peak season or on busy days, the lines for cars to get on the ferry are often several hours long. We recommend to our guests that walking on often maximizes their time on the Island versus sitting in a ferry cue. We find that many guests only need a car for one day when they are touring the island and some rent a on-island just for that day.

25. Re: Mother Daughter Adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Orcas Island
Recent Conversations