We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Townsend

Greenville
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Port Townsend

Do you have to take a ferry to Port Townsend? Were flying into Seattle and renting a car. (Looks like Ferry's from the webcam's are nothing but a hassel) We plan on visiting in late August. What are the must see of this town?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Townsend

drive south on I-5 and cross on the Tacoma narrows bridge and head north to PT. Ferries here are like ferries all over the world. they are ships you drive/walk onto that transport you across water. they are what they are.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Townsend

not sure what your asking. You can take a ferryfrom downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island and cross the Hood Canal Bridge to Pt. Townsend. You could take a ferry to 'Whidbey Island then a ferry to Pt. Townsend. YOu can also drive around as mentioned in post above.

How did you pick Pt. Townsend?? Its a cute older town with lots of victorian Homes and where they filmed an Officer and a Gentleman at Fort Woden which is now a state park and the lighthouse.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Townsend

Must sees include:

Fort Worden

Marine Science Center

NW Maritime Center

Undertown Coffee and Wine Bar

Waterfront Pizza

Victorian Architecture

Saturday/Wednesday Farmer's Market

22nd Kiwanis Classic Car Show, Aug. 27

20th Uptown Street Fair, Aug. 20

Historic Homes Tour, Aug. 20-21

13th Artist Studio Tour, Aug. 20-21

“Macbeth” in Chetzemoka Park, Aug. 5-21

PT Brewery

PT Boat Haven with bona fide working boat yard

S/V Adventuress and often the Lady Washington

Whale watching cruises with PS Express

Reportedly haunted Manresa Castle

Mt. Townsend Creamery cheese tasting room

Glass Beach

At least two places locally referred to as "end of the world"

Fairwinds Winery

Sorensen Cellars

Old Ft. Townsend State Park

Sailish Sea Circle (*cough* Tractor Tire *cough*)

Wooden Boat Foundation

That should keep you busy. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Enjoy PT,

chuck

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Townsend

At Fort Worden, ask Christopher at the youth hostel for a tour (make a donation to the hostel...?). He goes in the morning at about 10am.

Aero Museum of restored aircraft. We all liked this a lot.

I would take one of the ferries rather than drive around, myself. Most likely, I'd go via Whidbey Island on the day I had more time to go up and see Deception Pass and Fort Casey.

Have lunch at the lunch counter at Don's Pharmacy. Reminds me of eating at Kresge's with my grandparents when I was a kid. Priceless!

Edited: 30 June 2011, 17:42
Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
464 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Townsend

My husband and I really enjoyed the touch pools and exhibits at the Marine Science Center - even without the kids.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Townsend

Yep the touch pools are fun.

I forgot to mention renting sea kayaks or sailboats.

You can also rent scooters at Garys Auto.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 20:08
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Townsend

If you go via Whidbey Island, with which I agree - see website below, know that the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend warrants a reservation. To reserve a spot go to the WA State Ferries website.

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; includes key websites, tours, maps.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/…

The web-cams simply show cars waiting to board, it's a simple process, not a hassle. Some ferries are frequent, so if you miss one, wait for another. Again, see the ferry website for schedules and frequency.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 21:15
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Townsend

Pala has a great list and the only thing I would add is to be sure and see both "Uptown" (primarily residential with many Victorian B&Bs) and "Downtown" (the waterfront business section of town). Interesting century old buildings in both places but also quite different in looks and feel (purpose too if you check out the history.) If someone does not take a ferry to get here another nice option is to just ride the ferry over to Whidbey Island (Coupeville) - it is easy and cheap to do so with no need of a reservation IF you do a "walk-on" without a car.

Arizona
Level Contributor
959 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Townsend

the farmers market on Saturday was great - bought some local smoked salmon, cheese, strawberries and a baguette and had a picnic at Chetzemoka park - loved it. The Uptown area is nice too - loved the Uptown Pub on Lawrence.

Greenville
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Townsend

Wow, thanks for information and the list of things. Makes vacation so much easier when someone can tell you exactly whats great and whats not.