We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

Which Port Townsend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Humble, Texas
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

Any recommendations whether or not this tour is worth it over another (flying into Seattle mid-August)?? Flew into Seattle last year, did the Whidbey Island and North Cascades Loop tour, so was trying to avoid going the Seattle-Anacortes route (to ferry over to Friday Harbor). I essentially saw that part of the state last year and didn't want to retrace my steps since I never got to see any of the Olympic Peninsula close up. Also, by car, is the route more scenic going the 16-3-104-101 way off of I-5 in Tacoma, or straight 101 just west of Olympia (or go one way going, the other coming back)?

Also, if anyone has any comments about lodging (preferrably B&B) for one night while there...it is our 9th wedding anniversary and may splurge for that night, thinking Colette's (w. of Port Angeles), unless someone knows of something just as scenic but closer to Port Townsend, or between Port Townsend and I-5. Thx!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

I've spoken with many people who've gone out with PS Express. All of them have seen whales. No reason to consider it better than any other, but for what you describe I think it's a good choice for you.

There's no reason to go all the way south to Olympia. The Kitsap route you describe is the most direct. 101 along the Hood Canal is slower/longer but very scenic. You can reach the Hood Canal more directly by going through Purdy, Belfair, Union.

Port Townsend has several nice B&Bs. Colette's is very popular.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

I also know people who had success with this trip. Remember "guaranteed" means if you do not see whales they will give you another trip for free. There is never a guarantee that you will always see whales. Worth the effort IMO though and usuually these touras are successful.

Arizona
Level Contributor
846 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

went with PS Express on June 27 - not the 4-hour but the full day trip to Friday Harbor - B-E-A-U-tiful! saw quite a few Minke whales, but were not able to catch up to the Orcas, but our Captain Matt tried his best. the trip is both entertaining and one of the most scenic ferries we've ever taken, anywhere.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

Saltydawg, you have a great attitude about the whales. Everyone should take note!

They aren't in a pen, and are in fact stressed and endangered animals that need to be respected.

Glad you had a great day!

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

As a local I was somewhat skeptical but then took a trip with PSE and it was great, luckily we saw three different whales...species that is: orcas, minkes, and humpbacks (both the orcas and humpbacks were a bit far from Port Townsend, toward Victoria, and it was an all-day trip...plus it was rare to see all three species so do not expect something similar, but it can happen.)

6. Re: Puget Sound Express - 4 Hour "Guaranteed" Killer Whale Watch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:27