We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

We driving from WA to Minnesota and we are looking into driving 6 to 7 hrs a day. We are willing to make 3 overnight stops and was wondering what would be the shortest distance and time to make it to Minnesota on a budget. What would be good place to spend nights.

Thanks all

6 replies to this topic
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

i-90, i-94. there are motels all along the way.

Edited: 29 June 2011, 19:53
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

Before you leave, get maps of the states you will be going through and a map of the U.S.. Study it, plan your route. Further questions should be posted on TA's road trip forum. Chuck...

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

Seems to me you had some of your answers on your other post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28947-i982-k43961…

I assume that, given your limited travel time, you have given up the idea of a quick visit to/through Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. Makes sense.

Learn to use Google Maps or another like it.

As the two others above suggested, once you decide where to stop for each night Google "motels" for those towns and/or use TA for those towns, select "Hotels", left hand column.

It's about a 26 hour drive all told, depending on how fast you drive, number of stops, etc. Think about Missoula, Glendive, Minneapolis for stops.

Edited: 29 June 2011, 21:52
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

If I misunderstood (happens all the time) and you meant you'd have four days (over 3 nights) of driving available, you might consider going via Glacier NP, Going to the Sun Highway. Now you'd have 29 or so driving hours, on average five 6-hour driving days, with lots of daylight hours. I'd not go through Yellowstone on this trip.

Don't know when your trip is, but the GTTS Hwy. might be closed by the snow-pack until mid July; check that National Park website for road conditions.

…nps.gov/applications/…roadstatus.cfm

Edited: 29 June 2011, 22:01
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

You can make it easily in the time you have allotted and I-90 is the fastest way.

What we sometimes do is just drive and when you start feeling tired stop at the next town you can usually find a motel vacancy to stay the night or just print out a list of motel 6's or 8's in the towns along the way so you'll have an idea where to go. When you get to Spokane it's about 41/2 hours to Seattle that could be your last stop

Collie.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota

Sorry I should have said first stop along the way.

Collie

Reply to: Shortest road distance from Seattle WA to Minnesota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted