We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

Denver
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

My husband and I will be spending 3 days on San Juan Island. We are renting a cottage near Roche Harbor arriving Saturday, June 23rd. I'm considering taking an early afternoon ferry to Friday Harbor so that we can explore Anacortes a bit in the morning and try to avoid a total mad house on the ferry. Am I kidding myself about the ferry traffic since it's Saturday? How early should we arrive for a departure around 2pm? Also, any suggestions for Sunday brunch/breakfast in Friday Harbor would be appreciated. Nothing too shi-shi. We're looking for nice but casual. Thanks for any additional helpful tips.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

Ferry traffic is not so bad yet, and especially not on Sat, if it was Friday afternoon I would say early but on Sat....give yourself an hour or so...you can always go walk on the beach. If you want a great view, make sure to hit Mt Erie before you get on the ferry...if it is a clear day...When you come into town (just after you turn off Hwy 20 onto Commercial) turn left on 32nd (first light) then go up to H Ave/Heart Lake Rd Go up the hill, once you pass Heart Lake Park...start looking for the turn off on your left, it is well marked, it is about a 2 mile windy road up to the top but you can see forever once you are up there. When you are coming into town, it is the big hill with the radio towers on top of it. Also leave time for a trip around Washington Park Loop Rd....instead of turning down to the ferry, go straight forward and that road goes into the park...it is a short loop around the western most tip of the island..very pretty views.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

I'd probably plan on getting there at least 90 minutes in advance--an hour is probably ok as the PP says but if you miss the one you want, the next one isn't until 5:05.

BTW, I'm not seeing a 2 PM departure to Friday Harbor--do you mean the 2:40?

You can look at the WA State Ferries website that morning and see what sort of wait time they advise.

If you do err on the early side, you might consider arriving 2 hours in advance, as that would give you enough time to walk to Washington Park and walk the trail there after you park your car in line.

Denver
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

Thanks for the ideas on things to see before the ferry. And, yes, I'm looking at the 240pm ferry. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so we'll plan on being there 1 1/2 hours or so early. This will be our first time on a ferry (being land-locked in Colorado) and want to allow enough time to compensate for ignorance. I assume I want to book a reservation ahead of time? Any ideas how likely we are to see whales while on the ferry this time of year? I won't hold anyone to any guarantees on this subject.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

A reservation for what? Not clear from your post whether you were talking about brunch or the ferry ;-)--but you can't reserve that ferry. Only international portions of that route can be reserved.

I've never seen orcas from the ferry but of course it's possible--I'd make time to do a whale watching trip while you're there.

Denver
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Yes - I meant reservations for the ferry. Good information. This will give us more flexibility if we get an early start. Thank you for the help. :)

6. Re: Ferry traffic and Sunday brunch/breakfast suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 02:18