We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

NY
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

My wife and I are planning a belated honeymoon out to the Northwest. We are planning to stay for @ 10 days. Which is better- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island? Both seem nice. We are just looking for a little seclusion and some relaxing times mixed in with kayaking and hiking. What do you recommend? We are thinking about going during the last week in August. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,668 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

why not do a little of both? I haven't spent more than a few days in either location, but I think seclusion is the San Juans, but on Friday Harbor there are things to do, but not enoough for me to want me to be there 10 days. You can take the ferry to Sydney and get into Victoria pretty easy. I think I would lead to Vancouver Island because you have Victoria the capital with all sorts of places interesting to visit. You could drive up towards Namaimo or visit the Canadian side of the 'san Juans' like Salt Springs Island etc. Very cute and similar in feel to San Juans. Both are very different from where I imagine you live ,so very quiet and peaceful in nature.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

If I had a choice, for 10 days, I'd go with Vancouver Island. Then you can have your relaxation and seclusion, hiking, kayaking, scuba diving, mountain biking, etc. but you can also go into Victoria or explore the many nice little towns on the island - when you get bored, you can ferry over to Vancouver for the day.

10 days is a long time for the San Juans - pretty boonies - wonderful place, but 10 days might be a stretch...

Redmond, WA
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

Vancouver Island, for sure. You can spend a day or two in Victoria, then head north and west over to Tofino. This is in the Pacific Rim National Park. Lots of kayaking (for experienced people since you will be in the ocean and not a lake), hiking, opportunities to see wildlife (bears, whales). The other spot we have loved is on the east side of the island near Campbell River. There is Strathcona Provincial Park. Hiking, seclusion, beautiful lake, etc. Campbell River sits on the Strait of Georgia and just watching the water go by is amazing.

You could take the ferry from Anacortes to Sidney. This route takes you through the San Juan Islands. When we want to "get away" we head for Vancouver Island. Enjoy.

Germantown, MD
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

Lynn1 - We are two families going to the Seattle/Vancouver area in August. We each have 2 kids - ages 4, 7, 8, 10. We are splitting our time (10 days) between the areas, but wanted to probably see Whistler, Olympic National Park, Mt. Ranier, and more. So, we will be moving a bit. I've been trying to get reservations in Tofino or Ucluelet, but it's been pretty impossible to find anything--especially since most places require a 3 night stay which would eat too much of our time for what we want to cover. Even finding a place w/2 nights is tough. I was wondering if there are other areas (maybe in Olympic National Park on the coast, or the San Juan Islands) which might be similar to the Tofino area. Can you advise? Thanks!

Friday Harbor, San...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

If I had to choose one for what you are talking about, I'd lean toward Vancouver Island. The area around Tofino and Ucluelet is just spectacular, romantic and full of adventure. I live and work on San Juan Island, so I obviously love it here, but it's probably not a ten-day place for most people. Of course, you might consider taking one of the three-five day sea kayak trips to outer, undeveloped islands in the San Juan achipelago. That would be romantic and secluded and would leave you some extra time for visiting Friday Harbor, Victoria BC or other nearby places. We host a lot of people going on or returning from multi-day kayak trips, and I've never seen someone come home unhappy.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

Tofino is the place to go. You will love everything you do and see... even just getting there is fun. Perfect for honeymooners. Stay at one of the high end lodges. You won't be disappointed. Tofino is one of the most beautiful places you can pick to visit.

Marla

7. Re: Honeymoon- San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 19:18