We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Questions

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Questions

Is the 2014 summer ferry schedule available yet? I'm trying to figure out which ferry we could make from Sea-Tac.

If our flight gets in at 10:20am on a Wednesday in August, what time can we expect to reach the ferry terminal in Anacortes? Of course this means allowing time to get luggage, the rental car, plus traffic on the way up.

I was looking at the 2013 schedule and the Anacortes to Friday Harbor ferry left at 2:00 or 4:45 and the ferry to Orcas Island at 3:50. Will the 2014 schedule look similar?

Haven't decided whether to spend all 3 nights on SJI or 2 on Orcas and 1 on SJI. We're heading to Victoria after SJI.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Questions

The Summer schedule is not out yet for 2014 and won't be for months. Here is a link to the Summer 2013 ferry schedule (often the next years seasonal schedule is similar to the previous year): www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/2013Summer.pdf Information on what the WDOT says were the best travel times for the ferry out here to the SJIs in high summer of 2013: …wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/sum… There are no reservations taken for any ferries to any of the San Juan islands. Allow at least 1.5 - 2 hours driving time from Seattle to Anacortes. Much information in detail about the Anacortes ferry terminal and how to get to the ferry landing in Anacortes if you have a car as well as webcams showing you the current car holding lot (and a nice new feature which shows the actual amount of spaces left per vessel sailing for vehicles )is at: …wa.gov/ferries/… At the Anacortes ferry landing you'll find enough to do around the rurally located terminal while you wait for your ferry. Grassy trails lead down to the nearby beach and through the shoreline wetlands. You can get something at the small gift shop, buy drinks and snacks, walk your dog in the dog-walk area and on the beach, relax at a picnic table, or go online using the terminal's wireless Internet service (which has a fee). Or you could do it the Islanders way and spend the time talking together outside, playing cards, engaging in ball games with the dogs, reading or napping.

The WA state ferry to Sidney on Vancouver island BC from Anacortes (which stops on San Juan island) is scenic and you do see different islands close up that you don't see on the ferry ride from Anacortes to the San Juans...the main one is Spieden island which the ferry passes very close by and which is quite unique and makes for many scenic photo ops. Here is an image someone took of the ferry passing by the extreme southern tip of Spieden island: www.flickr.com/photos/wiseleyb/2747842809/ to give you an idea. They don't charge you at the time you make a reservation so you can always change your mind and cancel or change the date.The WA state ferry to Sidney on Vancouver island BC leaves right from the town of Friday Harbor so its convenient to stay on San Juan island if you want to catch the morning ferry to Sidney as they require you to be there a minimum of an hour in advance for customs and immigration purposes. Vehicle reservations are recommended on the BC run and may be made online or by phone and fare info is at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/. Call from out of state to WSDOT Seattle: 206-464-6400 or toll free in state: 888-808-7977 or online at wsfinfo@wsdot.wa.gov Do make advance reservations for that as it is possible it would fill in the summer.The WSDOT bulletin page at wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedule/bulletin.aspx carries special notices of cancellations and changes to the posted sailings. Fare rates are at www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/CurrentFares.pdf Further important information from the WSDOT website posted for that run states "Ana/Sidney - Identification is Required U.S. and Canadian citizens 16 years of age and older traveling to or from Sidney BC must have one of the following designated documents: passport, passport card, enhanced driver's license (EDL), or "trusted traveler" document such as a Nexus Card. Travelers must have required travel documents ready and in hand upon arrival at the tollbooth." as now they won't sell you a ticket to Sidney Canada in Friday Harbor without you showing them a passport etc for each passenger.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Questions

Thanks drifting. With no reservations from Anacortes we'll just show up when we get there and wait for the next ferry. I'm leaning towards two nights on Orcas Island and one night in Friday Harbor. Based on last year's schedule this may work out better. Trying to make the 2pm ferry to FH may be a stretch, especially considering we want stop at a Wal-Mart on the ride from Sea-Tac and stock up on food/supplies.

Snoqualmie...
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Questions

two nights on Orcas and one night on San Juan is a good plan. I'd do it in that order, too. The inter -island ferries typically a lot less crowded, and there is a lot more to do in Friday Harbor as you are waiting for a boat to return you the mainland.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Questions

Also to note....on your return from Friday harbor back to the mainland it's also a first come first in ferry system so you have to wait or the next ferry. Make sure you park for the ferry first then know when they will start to board and that will give you the time to explore Friday harbor.

One issue I see.......

If wed and thu are night are on Orcas, and then Friday night in Friday harbor......you may have hotel issues because many places require a two night stay if you are staying a Friday or Saturday night.

I was able to get away with a one night stay at Friday harbor best western using points/ free night certificate stay on a Saturday night in June.

An alternate option is get up to anacortes and stay there we'd night then do the ferry o orcas in the am and do just one night there and then do fri and sat night on the other sland. Under this option you run into everyone and. Thir mother returning on Sunday afternoon.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Questions

Dan, since we're headed to Sidney, BC after Friday Harbor, don't they have reservations that would guarantee a spot on the morning ferry? I realize there are no reservations between the San Juan Islands and Anacortes.

I plan on getting a room at the Discovery Inn for Friday night. Looks nice for one night and close to the ferry in Friday Harbor.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Questions

As I already said before here, yes there are reservations for the Sidney BC run and I listed how to make those reservations above in reply #1 .

I wouldn't say the Discovery Inn is near the ferry. See map at : https://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&q=map+%22+friday+harbor%22++ferry+discovery+inn&ie=UTF-8&ei=AafkUtadO9LuoATX24DoCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Questions

That's what I thought drifting and I always appreciate your input. When someone posts I need to line up at the ferry when leaving Friday Harbor it sends mixed messages. Dan must have thought we were returning to Anacortes, but I did state we were heading to Sidney from FH.

The Discovery Inn is less than a mile to the ferry. That isn't close?

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Questions

I was happy to find out the Kirk House B & B accepts single night reservations, and on a Friday no less. This place looks outstanding (ranked #1) and close to downtown. We're officially booked and looking forward to our stay in Friday Harbor.

I'll be certain to monitor the release of the summer ferry schedule and make a reservation to Sidney when it becomes available.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
751 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Questions

The Summer timetable has now been posted

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Questions

Thanks, I did see that. They are now accepting reservations for this summer. We made ours this morning.

Get answers to your questions about San Juan Islands