We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

I have booked a B&B in Friday Harbor from July 3. I am also booked on the Empire Builder arriving Seattle the same day. I did not realise how complicated it would be to get to the ferry wharf in Anacortes. The Builder has been many hours late into Seattle recently. There is hope things might improve by July.

I am considering alighting at Everett instead of Seattle(nearly 2 hours earlier). There is a Greyhound bus from Everett to Mt Vernon at 2.55pm. I cannot find anything earlier after say 10am. When are the summer ferry schedules posted? Which is the best way from Mt Vernon to the Anacortes ferry terminal?

Should I buy my ferry ticket online? I would not get a seniors discount (I am 70) but would forego that if necessary to make sure of a seat. Any advice appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor
San Juan Island, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Everett
Everett
Washington
Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon
Washington
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

To briefly answer you here as both our phone & computer services are out for days because of an car accident that happened here on SJI last night and wiped out a transformer....I'm in the town library parking lot accessing the internet now....there is no advantage to buying a ticket online. No ferries here to the islands take reservations. There is no busier time here in the Islands than July 4th weekend so July 3rd will be hopping with tourist traffic on the ferries but as a walk on that should be ok for you as it's those with cars that have to wait. The San Juan ferries have lots of room for walk-on passengers but the space for cars in limited to under 150 per vessel. I have never heard of a time when walk on passengers did not get aboard the ferry they wanted as long as you are there with enough time to purchase a ticket & walk up the ramp to the ship....just be sure you get there with enough time to do that & always plan extra time so as not to be rushed or stressed.

The local bus company on the mainland, Skagit Transit also operates a regular set of bus routes, including one that operates from Anacortes to the Amtrak station in Mount Vernon. Unfortunately the Skagit Transit bus service between Washington State Ferries in Anacortes and Amtrak train station in Mt Vernon is not very good. You can do it, but it takes a long time and does not connect the ferry and train schedules very well. You can see the bus routes Skagit Transit has for going from the mount Vernon Amtrak station to the Anacortes ferry landing at

at https://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&sll=41.812267,-87.837067&sspn=0.732868,1.450195&saddr=mount+vernon+amtrak&daddr=anacortes+ferry&ttype=dep&date=7/21/2013&time=2:31+PM&dirflg=r

Mentioned in this post
San Juan Island
San Juan Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon
Washington
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

its actually quite easy. You can use Belair charter who runs an airporter bus to Anacortes.

airporter.com

airporter.com/schedules/…ana

Edited: 29 March 2014, 02:40
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

Thanks for replying in such difficult circumstances. It is a relief to know I do not need to worry about getting a seat on a ferry. i just need to wait for the summer timetable to be posted. I am favouring the airporter again but, as mentioned, I will need to hope the Empire Builder is not running very late. It has been 8 or more hours late recently and the Everett stop is nearly 2 hours before Seattle. Only a few buses go via King Street Station, for most I need to travel out to Seatac.

Is it necessary to book on the Airporter or are seats always available?

Mentioned in this post
King Street Station
King Street Station
191 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Everett
Everett
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

no you need to book the airporter ahead of time. It used to stop at King St station in Seattle but last yr moved to the convention ctr which would be a quick bus or cab ride. I don't see a pickup other than Seattle so getting off at Everett may not help you. If you'd like I can phone them just let me know the date of travel etc and for how many?

Edited: 29 March 2014, 21:21
Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Everett
Everett
Washington
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

your choices are pretty limiting. The Victoria clipper does go to SJI but only at 7:45 am from downtown Seattle

clippervacations.com

The airporter only stops in downtown Seattle a few times a day so it really depends on when you arrive. I did call the airporter but getting off in Everett won't help you much. Its real easy to take the light rail from Amtrak Seattle to Seatac so if you do come in late its realatively easy and cheap $2.75 to get to the airport and wait for the next shuttle to Anacortes. I don't know the ferry crossing but other than flying on

kenmoreair.com

the bus and ferry are the easiest or least expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Everett
Everett
Washington
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

Thanks, I will wait and see if the train improves its on time running by late June. it is good to know I do not have to book ahead on either airporter or ferry. I am travelling alone. The only insurance I might take is booking a seat on the Greyhound bus from Everett to Mt Vernon. It is only $18 for seniors. However I will not consider that until mid June. The airline is above my budget. The B&B at Friday Harbor likes guests to arrive by 6pm but guess they will be flexible if not possible.

Mentioned in this post
Everett
Everett
Washington
Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon
Washington
Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor
San Juan Island, WA
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

just to be clear, you should book the airporter ahead of time if your taking it from downtown. Not sure about Seatac but I doubt it. Since your 'transferring' to Anacortes a e mail to them ahead of time would be nice. Since they are on a fixed schedule they won't adapt to the train therefore having the option to go to Seatac is what I propose for you.

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

here is one other option. This bus takes you on the ferry with them. Pretty good price and a few departures from Seatac daily.

http://www.islandairporter.com/

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

The Summer timetable has been posted . If I am reading right, there are ferries (Thursday July 3) from Anacortes at 2pm (too early for me), 4.45pm (which i can make if the Empire Builder is no more than 2 hours late) and 8.20pm (I would have to ring the B&B as they prefer early arrival)

That is using the Bellair Airporter leaving Seatac at 12Noon, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm. Anything else seems too complicated. Thanks for advice.

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport Everett to Friday Harbor?

If the Empire Builder manages to arrive King Street, Seattle by 4pm I can go by light rail to Seatac and catch the 5pm Airporter bus to Anacortes and the 8.20pm ferry to Friday Harbour.

If it looks like the Empire will arrive after 4pm but into Everett by 5pm I can use Skagitt buses with changes in Mt Vernon and March Point and still catch the same ferry. I could even leave Everett an hour later and use a taxi from March Point to the ferry.

2 questions. Do I buy my ticket for the airporter at Seatac from the driver? (Under the circumstances I cannot buy online)

Is it true I can use an Orca Pass on the ferry? If I am into Seattle on time I might as well buy the pass as I will be spending 3 nights in Seattle on my return from San Juan.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 01:09
Mentioned in this post
The Orca Inn
The Orca Inn
296 Reviews
San Juan Island, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington