We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

Hello!

I've heard that it's possible to pick oysters off the beach/rocks along the area around Anacortes and the San Juan Islands. I've visited the following site, so I'm aware of this information:

…wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/beaches/MapArea/03/

I was hoping someone had a suggestion about where the best place is to find Oysters to eat raw. Is this a low tide activity that comes along with tide-pooling? I'm planning to go tide-pooling at Rosario Beach, so maybe I'll find some. Is it easy to find them, or a rare occurrence?

I'm from the desert (Phoenix) so I'm new to this, and I'm having trouble finding specifics. I'd love to hear the inside scoop!

Thanks in advance!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

Aloha!

I have read that the Garrison Bay area is an excellent spot: wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/beaches/220422/

Good luck!

\nnn/

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

Which island will you be on? Rosario's is on Orcas and Garrison Bay is here on San Juan. We've never seen anyone taking oysters or other shellfish off English Camp Park where Garrison Bay is, but I do know it is an allowed activity in the park. Do be aware that there have been several reports and stories locally in the last few days about red tide or algae bloom off Orcas Island and Anacortes. People have been talking about it on facebook locally too and mentioned this news story www.islandssounder.com/news/256252401.html from the Orcas newspaper. Local oyster farms like Westcott Bay Oysters here on SJ island test daily all shellfish sold.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

Thanks for the info. We've been narrowing our itinerary, and now know we'll be on Orcas for a day. I guess I just love to eat shellfish in general, and intrigued by the idea of eating them right where they're grown. Having said that, maybe I should head to Obstruction Pass for the scenery, and then over to Buck Bay Shellfish for a safer tasting??? Have never been to the SJIs before. Thanks for your help!

5. Re: Shellfishing in Anacortes/San Juan Islands Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16