We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

Which SeaTac hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

I'm flying from Vancouver to Amsterdam via seatac. The seatac websiteis not clear on international arrivals transiting to international departures and indicates I will need to go through immigration, then collect my bags and go through customs, then check in for my next flight, then go through emigration!

Does anyone know if I really need to do the immigration/emigration stage or can I simply stay in international space.

My issue is that my travel agent has only given me 1h50 for the transfer which is only reasonable if I stay in the international areas.

Any advice?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

You will go through US border controls (immigration, customs) at Vancouver airport; the connection in Seattle will all be "airside" within the secure area. Thus you should allow extra time when leaving Vancouver, but the connection in Seattle will be easy.

What airline are you taking between YVR and SEA? Delta's flight to AMS departs from the south satellite at SEA, so you may need to take the train from the main terminal building to the satellite, but 1h50m is ample.

This assumes you are properly documented to enter the USA. If not, you need to revise your plans.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 17:30
Cape Town, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

Thanks Ibgardyloo, We fly delta to Seattle then KLM to Amsterdam. The entire ticket is booked through KLM so hopefully our luggage will be booked through too.

If all immigration is covered in Vancouver then my mind is at ease and will confirm the ticket.

Thanks for the help. G

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,886 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

You will be on a KLM codeshare operated by Delta for the SEA-AMS flight. KLM itself doesn't serve SEA.

Depending on when your trip occurs, your YVR-SEA flight may be operated by "Delta Connection" or by Horizon Airlines, a subsidiary of Alaska Airlines, using a Delta codeshare flight number. If it's the Delta Connection you'll probably both arrive and depart at the south satellite (S gates); if it's Horizon/Alaska, you'll probably deplane at the "C" gates and will need to take the train to the south satellite. The trip from C to S will take around 15 minutes at most.

Your bags will be tagged to AMS (or wherever you're stopping) however you may need to "gate check" carry-ons at Vancouver (don't forget to retrieve them at Seattle) since the YVR-SEA plane will be a commuter aircraft with limited overhead storage.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

"Your flights were ticketed together? If you feel the airline's Web site is unclear, call the airline(s).

Edited: 28 May 2014, 17:21
5. Re: International transit via Seatac. Immigration required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:17