We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangor Navy Base to Seaside Oregon info for route

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bangor Navy Base to Seaside Oregon info for route

Can you please tell me if going to Seaside from Bangor via Hwy 101 is a scenic drive? What will we see? Or should we just stick with I5?

We are not in a hurry but any advice would be appreciated...as will stops along the way.

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Poulsbo, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangor Navy Base to Seaside Oregon info for route

I don't know if you've already made your trip but if you're looking for a scenic drive without taking I-5 I'd recommend taking Hwy 3 South to Shelton (via Belfair).

Take a break just north of Shelton on Highway 101, there's a development of stores on the freeway. Then head back south on 101 and take Highway 8 East toward Elma / Aberdeen. You'll want to take 107 south toward Raymond rather than going out to Aberdeen and south. It takes a lot longer.

Stop in Raymond for a break & gas as there isn't much available between Raymond & Astoria.

Take the time to stop just before Astoria at Dismal Nitch (it's a rest stop on the Washington side on Hwy 101. It's a beautiful place to get a look at the Ocean, take a break, eat a snack.

Dinner in Astoria or Seaside is up to you. There are a couple really good restaurants in downtown Astoria - but if you eat in Seaside I'd recommend the Shilo Inn - it has a stunning view of the ocean.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangor Navy Base to Seaside Oregon info for route

To anwer your question, for the most part I do not find it scenic. It does make far more sense, however, to follow the route that L is suggesting.

Reply to: Bangor Navy Base to Seaside Oregon info for route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Silverdale