We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

Which Spokane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

The family is headed to Banff, Jasper, Calgary area this summer and my sister from Arizona will be joining us. Is the drive (scenery, etc.) worth going in/out of Spokane or should we just pick her up in Calgary? Thanks for your thoughts

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

Oh my gosh, yes.

From Spokane go north on US 2, WA 20 and WA 31 to the border near Metaline Falls, through the beautiful Pend Oreille country. Cross over to BC 6 and head up to Nelson, a very cute town in the Kootenays. Continue north on BC 6 and 23 (using the free ferry across Upper Arrow Lake) to Revelstoke National Park, then take the Trans-Canada highway through Banff National Park to Calgary. One of the premier drives in North America IMO.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

ibgardyloo is right it's a gorgeous drive. I've been that way several times my self in the past. You also may want to post this on the Calgary forum as people come down here, Spokane, all the time to stay and shop, there are even tour buses that bring shoppers down once or twice a year for those reasons. Some of the Calgary folks might even be able to tell you some more interesting things to see and ways to go.

I don't think you can go wrong coming in and out of here.

any questions about the area please ask.

Collie

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

Another option is to go via Glacier National Park, and Going to the Sun highway, then up through Waterton ProvincalPark, and via Kananaskas Hwy to either Banff, or Calgary, depending on which you want to hit first. Lots of mountain scenery and animals along the way and two national parks.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

kelly has a good point you might want to look into that way also it's quite stunning.

Collie

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

We did the Banff to Spokane drive (that direction) a couple years ago and it was definitely worth it. Even though even at the height of Summer it was cool and drizzly on the west side. We broke it up by staying at Ainsworth Hot Springs (very interesting place). The Galena Bay ferry ride was interesting and very scenic. One thing to defintiely not miss in Yoho NP would be Takakkaw (or sometimes Takaka) Falls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takakkaw_Falls

Spectacular! Often missed by folks that stay on the east side of the divide on the Icefields Parkway.

Edited: 16 March 2011, 17:26
6. Re: Scenic Drive between Spokane and Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 14:17