We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

Hello all,

A group of us mid-twenties girls will be taking a trip through WA this weekend - we are based in Vancouver BC and wanted to get out of town for the long weekend.

We thought we'd drive to Spokane on Friday along the I90, and then back to Vancouver via Route 2, stopping off in Chelan on Saturday night to break up the trip, arriving back in Van on Sunday evening. We'd also like to go to the Idaho border - does anyone know if there is a good place to stop and take a photo on the state border - like a 'welcome to idaho' sign, or anything else interesting to see close to the border?

Does anyone have any suggestions to see and do along the way? We're happy to deviate from that plan if anyone has any great ideas.

I had a quick look through the forums and someone mentioned a Ginko petrified forest, and the dry falls/flood area also sound very interesting. Where abouts are these?

Once we get to Spokane, unfortunately it looks like the airtram ride across the falls and the carrousel are shut this weekend, but we'd be interested in checking out Riverview Park for sure. We won't have much time for shopping but are interested in seeing any natural highlights (waterfalls etc), as well as general points of interest, anywhere with a good view, sculptures, interesting diners, etc etc. Open to any suggestions and particularly love things off the beaten path that tourists wouldn't necessarily know about.

On the way home while on route 2 we'd like to stop in Leavenworth. Is there anything between Chelan and Spokane we shouldn't miss?

PS - We know this is a lot of driving but we're all road trip fans so we're fine with that.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

You ask some good questions...

Yes you can take a picture of the welcome to Idaho sign it's right along I-90 heading to Coeur d'Alene in fact I'd just keep driving to Coeur d'Alene it's about 35 minutes from Spokane and wander around there for awhile.Go to Beverly's in the Coeur d'Alene hotel for lunch it over looks the lake and the lunches are not that expensive.

Riverfront park in Spokane is a good place to walk around and see the falls...

www.spokaneriverfrontpark.com

Go to the west end of the park where the sky ride is and walk across the street and then follow the street north around the curve and across the bridge, it's a very short walk, keep going west for a block to Monroe street then walk part way across the bridge and you'll get an excellent view of the second falls

Have you seen Grand Coulee dam if not it's worth a stop it's between Spokane and Chelan.

Check out this web-site...

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/missoula_floods

This will give you an idea of how the terrain was formed. I would take highway 2 to Chelan and not I-90 that's the way I always go when I visit my sister and they go when coming here.

I'll keeping thinking about it and others will give you some ideas too.

Collie

Edited: 09 November 2011, 15:45
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

Seems like a really long drive just to take a picture of a Welcome to Idaho sign....

Have you considered just going to Lake Chelan / Wenatchee / Leavenworth / Ellensburg (a college town) and having fun there? You'd save yourselves 7-8 hours of driving.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

I would second the above suggestions. Prettier scenery, less driving!!!Still many highlights

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

I'm from New Zealand... It might be the only time I ever get to go to Idaho!

The drive into Idaho is a bit token to be fair, but we're leaving early in the morning tomorrow and all up for a road trip so I think it should be fun. Thanks so much for your suggestions, Collie!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

You're welcome. Any questions along the way please ask.

Did you find places to stay along the way or do you need some help on that?

Collie

Edited: 10 November 2011, 16:49
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

Thanks Collie. We managed to find some good deals online so accommodation all got sorted yesterday. Thanks again for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

Actually - I've heard about a great diner on Route 2.. Does anyone know where this might be?

8. Re: Vancouver - Spokane | Long Weekend Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Spokane