We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spokane in Jan.....

hawaii
1 post
Save Topic
Spokane in Jan.....

We will be visiting during the 2nd week of Jan for 4 days. My son is a freshman at Gonzaga and we also have a very active 10 year old daughter. We've all never ski'd (we live in Hawaii), and don't really know what to do in the winter. I just read some very interesting activities in Coeur d’ Alene. Will the lights and sleigh rides still be available around the 15th or 16th? Do you have any more suggestions for our family? We're staying close to the airport. We would love to have a great "winter" experience without it hitting our pockets too hard. Thanks much!

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
372 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spokane in Jan.....

The light show in Coeur d' Alene is scheduled to end on January 1. Still might be worth a drive over to Coeur d' Alene to walk around downtown and see the lake. The other on going activity would be to see the Bald Eagles that arrive on the Coeur d' Alene Lake in the winter to eat spawning fish. They can be seen on E. Coeur d' Alene Lake Drive at Higgins Point which can be accessed from East Sherman exit off Interstate 90, or see the Eagles near Beauty Bay along State Highway 97 which can be accessed from Interstate 90 east of Coeur d' Alene. Eagles will begin to depart over the next 30 days but should be there during your trip. Other than the snow related activities things tend to slow down in Coeur d' Alene in the winter. Have a great trip!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spokane in Jan.....

And we will be going to Maui Jan 15th for two weeks!! How funny! There is an awful lot of fun stuff to do in & around Spokane in the winter. Be sure & go to the visitors center downtown. It is very helpful & easy to find! Be sure & go downtown & see the park! Lots to do down there! Have a great trip! I know we will!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spokane in Jan.....

There are alot of things to do an a budget in Spokane. If you want to hit the snow areas consider driving up to Mt Spokane to go sledding. I talked to a friend of mine who went up last weekend and spent the day tubing on the hill. I have heard Bear Creek Lodge is great, you rent the tube from them and there is a tow rope that takes you back up the hill. You do need reservations for this. bearcreeklodgewa.com.

I believe that the Holiday Lights cruises are only until Dec 31st however I believe the CDA resort has eagle watching cruises this time of year. The cruises are great but my 9 yr old would get a bit bored with just looking at scenary.

May want to check out ice skating at Riverfront Park downtown. This is a fun outdoor activity for the kids and adults. If you do this make sure that you arrive when it opens it can get very busy in the afternoon.

Lately, we have not had much snow on the ground so if you want to play in the snow you will have to go in the mountains. Sandpoint, which is about 1 1/2 hours away is having their winter carnival on Jan 12-14th, I have not gone but Sandpoint is a very cute town that knows how to throw a party.

Hope that helps,

Carrie

4. Re: Spokane in Jan.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 10:22