We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westport has potential but...only go for the fishing.

McKenna, Washington
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Westport has potential but...only go for the fishing.

Just a tip for those of you looking for a nice day trip...

We hadn't been to Westport since 1993 when we were there to fish. I didn't remember much about the town, but thought, hey...maybe it would be a nice town to drive to on a sunny autumn afternoon...hit a couple of shops, have some lunch and walk along the shore.

It's definitely not the seaside town I was hoping for. A great place to go fishing or spend time on the ocean...however, I didn't see any areas on the beach you can drive on like you can at Ocean Shores.

The stores, every one of them, is stuck in 1975 with the same old souvenirs we saw back then. Such potential, but their main business is fishing and they run little stores on the side with 5 and dime little trinkets for the kids.

There was one store with a terrific selection of kites and one with fudge and salt water taffy...skip the mediocre fudge and stock up on the softest tastiest taffy I've ever had!

We took my husband's parents and were hoping for a quaint town with some unique gift shops for browsing...and now Westport will be the punchline for future reference.

Most upsetting of all was an area in the marina where they had netting...I'm assuming to protect some bait or ?? There was an otter swimming around inside and a number of seagulls stuck in the net and under the net. The one store owner said they let them out every day, but we counted at least 3 dead ones. They need to find a different method because clearly, that's not right.

Even the light house was disappointing, I don't remember their exact fee to go in...I just remember thinking, who would pay $x to go in there?? I suppose only those who are enthusiasts. If they dropped their price, certainly a lot more families would take advantage and check it out.

Enough said, but I wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking for a coastal town for a day trip...stick to Poulsbo, Kingston, and a couple of others on the sound. One of these days, the economy will improve and they'll get Westport up to date. Apparently, they've got a Links Golf Course in the works, but from the looks of it, it's all on hold just now. So until then, just go for the fishing.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Westport has potential but...only go for the fishing.

driving on the beach is a long pioneer tradition. I enjoy it alot.

12. Re: Westport has potential but...only go for the fishing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Westport