We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from PDX?

colorado
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from PDX?

We're attending a wedding in Westport, and are flying into PDX. We'll have part of the day to travel, and hear the coast road is gorgeous, but don't want to take a VERY long time to get there. What is the best route that will afford us gorgeous scenery but not a 5 hour drive?

Thanks for any advice!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from PDX?

the coast road is gorgeous, but only south of where you'd be driving. the stretch of 101 north from the OR border to westport isn't particularly scenic--only part goes along the coast. fastest way would probably be to take i-205 north from the airport to i-5 north to rt. 12 west to 101 south for a few miles to westport--about a 3 hour trip. maybe after the wedding you can take the time to drive the oregon coast south from the or/wa border?

colorado
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from PDX?

Thanks for such a quick reply!

What about taking 26 to 101 (passing Cannon beach, seaside, etc.)...Would that be worth doing for some scenery? And does it really tack an extra hour onto the drive?

Thanks again!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from PDX?

101 isn't right on the coast for that short stretch of oregon up from cannon beach or for much of the time after you cross over into WA. and yes, i'd say it would add at least an hour to driving time if not more--it's mainly two lane roads as opposed to freeways. if you can take some time to stop in cannon beach, then do it but otherwise you might want to take the faster route when you arrive and the slower route on the return.

colorado
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from PDX?

Thanks so much--that is very helpful!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from PDX?

Going out 26 to Cannon Beach doesn't help you get to Westport. I'd just go up I-5 and head out to Westport and hang out on the beach there.

I agree that on the way back you could take more time.

One possibility would be to go to Longview then Astoria and explore the section of coast between Astoria and Cannon Beach. Then return to Portland via 26. You could do it on the way out, but you would have at least a 6 or 7 hour day doing it, which you said you didn't want.

colorado
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from PDX?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

We actually have less time on our return trip (have to catch flight), so unfortunately not much time on either end.

If we take 26 to Cannon Beach, and then head up 101 from there, doesn't that take us to Westport? Our only chance to see anything is on the drive from PDX to Westport...

Thanks...!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from PDX?

yes, it will get you there, eventually!

colorado
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from PDX?

Our friend said it would be about a 1/2 hour longer than taking the direct route...Is he thinking of a different route? And when i mapquest it it's 4 hours, max...How are you getting 6/7 hours? Just curious, because we certainly don't want that!! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from PDX?

i would imagine ainwa was allowing time to stop and explore cannon beach, etc, along the way, because otherwise, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to take the longer route if you don't have time to do that.

i don't know what route your friend is thinking of but i think 4 hours or more is much more likely than 3.5 hours, if you take 26 to 101.

colorado
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from PDX?

Ahh--got it!

Thanks for everyone's replies--very, very helpful!!

Get answers to your questions about Westport