We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whidbey Island Camping in October

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Whidbey Island Camping in October

hi there, hoping to get some feedback from all you locals.

we are wanting to camp in early october.. in our trailer, not tent, somewhere on Whidbey Island. We have 3 nights... would love to be near the water, close to a little town with a good restaurant ( it's my 50th birthday while were there ) and some cute little shops.

can you folks recommend something? We are self contained.. ie, generator, water, propane, so don't need any hookups...

nice hiking trails, walks etc would also be great!

thank you all!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

Since WI is not that large, you can camp anywhere and be pretty close to the things you list. There are a number of good restaurants and two cute towns, Langley and Coupeville, both on the water.

See "Restaurants", left hand column, for list and reviews.

For campground information, plus map showing locations:

https://www.google.com/webhp…

On the map, see those marked C, D and E. These parks are truly nice and varied, and will be near the two towns mentioned. You can explore the island from any of these. But, enjoy also Deception Pass State Park (the main park, the bridge (worth walking) and at the north end of the bridge, visit Bowman Bay and surrounds.

These parks have many nice trails/walks, ocean bluffs, woods, ponds, gun emplacements, a lighthouse, etc.

Whidbey Island WI is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this TA article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

On Whidbey Island, an easy hike, Ebey’s Landing State Park Dramatic, easy, trail, farmland to the east, Puget Sound and the Olympics to the west. http://tinyurl.com/3c8zrnc

Edited: 16 September 2012, 05:17
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

Thank you so much, great info! I went to try and reserve a site, most are taken, or are they just first come first serve?

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

A nice place for your birthday meal would be Gordon's on Blueberry Hill, in Freeland. In Coupleville, The Mosquito Fleet Chili Co. is very good for a casual meal with great food and pretty views of the water.

Enjoy your time on Whidbey Island! :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

I think you can make a reservation at Deception Pass State Park. I doubt there will be a lot of competition for spots.

Another great camping site is Washington Park on the tip of Fidalgo Island, right near the ferry terminal. It has fantastic views from your campsite. It is owned by the City of Anacortes. I believe you can make reservations. Of course, that is Fidalgo, not Whidbey, but they are next door neighbors, connected by bridge not ferry.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

thanks Syrahgirl, recognize you from the Maui forum..thanks for your help here too!

ainwa, all the spots that can be reserved must be, or maybe there is no reservations for October.. we're just going to take a chance... there are about 10 "available" spots.. but all on on huge slopes, or close to the road.. hoping it's like the reservation system here in BC.. some spots are left for first come first serve drive ups...

just had a look at Fidalgo as well, that may be a first stop.. see what's there.. looks great! thank you so much!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

ok, Washington park it is.... now, my next question.. I tried to reserve, and it wont let me there either.. is it because they dont take reso's for this time of the year? there isn't even a phone number to call! We will just go and figure it out!

ainwa, can you recommend a place to get a good meal in Anacortes?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

Be aware that WA Park (lovely) is fairly distant from S. Whidbey Island and the ideas you listed in your OP. Google Maps says 1.5 hours, one way, that park to Langley. That would eat up at least 3 hours RT of your dwindling daylight hours. You could plan on one of the south island parks and and visit WA Park and Anacortes as part of your trip home.

Anacortes has some very nice galleries on Commercial Avenue, the main drag. Several restaurants there as well; perhaps get local advice from the gallery folks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

thanks voyaging... we'll scrap the other stuff further south and just stay up at Anacortes... there seems to be a lot to see and do.. hikes etc... we can go to Deception Pass from there with not too much of a drive I see... so that will probably be as far south as we venture...

we'll really only have two full days there so with hikes, walks and wandering through town we'll be good!

Not too much of a planner, just wanted to make sure there was "stuff to do" in Anacortes in October! looks like we'll be fine!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

Good plan, especially with only two days! :)

BTW, Cap Sante Park, high on a hill, a short drive east of downtown Anacortes, great view of the ferry route and marina, possibly eagles.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=anacortes+parks&fb=1&gl=us&hq=parks&hnear=0x548578d19cc8966b:0xb21d969264e39198,Anacortes,+WA&ei=oY5WUNiKEIX6iwKhwoCYAg&ved=0CI8BELYD

Enjoy the trip and Happy Birthday!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whidbey Island Camping in October

Thank you again! Can't wait :)

Get answers to your questions about Whidbey Island