We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

Lafayette, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

Hello,

My family will be spending a day at Whidbey Island this summer while up in Washington (we live in Oregon). We won't go to the San Juans because of time but was wondering if we'll be able to see Canada from Whidbey Island?? I'd really like for my 3 sons to see that view so they realize just how close we are to it.

Also, if you can see it from this island, any favorite look-out spots would be so helpful to learn about!

Thank you:).

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
992 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

Fort Ebey State Park & Joseph Whidbey State Park (both north of Coupeville) both face towards Victoria on Vancouver island which is BC Canada. Of the two we prefer Fort Ebey park. Info on that park is at www.parks.wa.gov/parks/…

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

Maybe one day you could even visit ..... dare to dream :)

Lafayette, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

Would love love love to visit Canada. I haven't been since I went to Niagara Falls many years ago! And thanks for the park info. Drifting Clouds:). I keep seeing and hearing great reviews about Fort Casey and hadn't heard anything about Joseph Whidbey so that is helpful info.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

Fort Casey is also nice and you can usually see the same southern end of Vancouver Is. from there as well.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

We were just there, on a clear day; it's easy to see Vancouver Island. And ships.

We have friends who are volunteers at Ft. Casey, lucky them! It's a large and scenic park, with light house, gun emplacements, interesting history shared with Fort Ebey and others in the area built to protect Puget Sound waters. Great fun for kids and adults. Bring kites.

BTW, there is an active Bald Eagle nest; ask the park volunteers or rangers. Great views.

6. Re: Can you see Canada from Whidbey Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 05:16