We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

Statesboro, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

We are flying into Seatle on Thursday night. We plan to see Pike Place Market, take a Chocolate Tour, etc on Friday and Saturday. Renting a car and driving to Yakima. Is there anything we should stop and see/do along the way?

Plan to stay at Comfort Suites in Yakima. I want a fridge in the room and wifi is essential for business needs while on vacation. Does this sound like a reasonable choice? (We typically stay a 4star hotels when in large metropolitan areas but choices for 4star seem very expensive in the area.)

Plan to visit wineries and take a picnic lunch at least some days. Any suggestions for wineries to taste and places to grocery shop?

Plan to visit Mt Ranier park via Box Canyon->Paradise->Narada Falls->Longmire. We hope to select our day for the park based on weather. I plan to rent a large to mid size car like a Toyota Avalon. Will this be fine? I grew up driving gravel roads.

When we return to Seattle, we thought about driving through Puyallup. Any suggested routes?

Overall, I would appreciate tips on Memorial Day closures/events, routes, specific restaurants, weather, places to picnic and warnings about things that are hyped online but not worth it. Thank you in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Washington state
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

You will probably still hit snow at Paradise on Rainier. Not sure about Longmire. Be prepared for it. I don't think the size of your car matters that much.

Depending on what wineries you want to visit, you might consider staying somewhere other than Yakima. If you look at the map of wineries, you'll notice that Yakima is the western boundary of the area and they go pretty far east. The distance between Yakima and Benton City is about an hour. I found Sunnyside to be a decent place to stay to be more in the center, but it's definitely not as big as Yakima.

The Thorp Fruit & Antique Mall can be a fun stop, it's easily spotted from the highway. If you detour a little before you get to Yakima, you can go see the Wild Horses Monument and the Columbia River, it's pretty over there.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

http://www.seattle-downtown.com/events/#may

Curious, what do you mean by "et cetera"? Have you plotted what to see or asking us to advise? Do you know the highlights of a Seattle visit? Perhaps you have selected "Things to Do" and "Travel Guide", left hand column, this page to help you decide.

Will tell you now, we too "hype" things to see, because they are worth seeing and are uniquely Seattle. For example, the Museum of Fllight, Pioneer Square, Ballard Locks and much more.

If you wish to list the things from those selections and ask our advice, we'd be glad to help.

BTW, you don't have to go to Yakima to do wine tasting...

Wine Country – not vineyards, tasting rooms:

http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/

You can drive there via Snoqualmie Falls if you wish.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 01:30
Statesboro, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

Thanks for the advice.

I had looked up Snoqualmie Falls as a detour. Will weather matter for the view? I know Niagra is not as impressive if it is raining...

I chose Yakima partly for location to tastings and partly for restaurant and hotel options. We have taken several trips to California wine country in the past and learned the importance of staying in a large enough town to have more than a couple of restaurants to choose from.

I was not aware of the Seattle-downtown website. Thanks. (I had checked out the Seattle Times website for events and suggestions along with TA, Fodor's, Lonely Planet, Wines NW, Yakima Valley CVB, and some other sites)

Will it be late enough for local produce stands to be selling? If so, what will be in season?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

Snoqualmie Falls - the weather might not matter as much as whether it is windy and there is a lot of flow (and there should be then). The spray from this waterfall can hinder your view of it (the viewpoints along the path overlook the downside of the falls). And soak the viewer. But, if winds calm, it can be quite a view. Frankly, it's a one trick pony and I'd not take time to see it unless you were on your way to something more significant for you. Such as wine tasting in Woodinville as noted earlier or en route to Yakima, as you say.

Others can discuss the comparison of WA state wineries, the grounds, not quality of wine, with those in California. I don't think we have a Healdsburg here, or the grandiosity of the CA wineries, with rare exceptions. BTW, in Woodinville, St. Michelle does have nice grounds and facilities with a few acres of vineyards..

Edited: 27 February 2012, 03:26
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

The only local vegetables in season will be lettuces, spring onions, and, perhaps, baby asparagus, pea shoots and young peas. It will be too early for strawberries, unfortunately.

Mill Creek...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment

Seems like there is a little hesitation about going to/staying in Yakima...let me say that I love Yakima. The weather will be nice, the drive will be beautiful and the wine tasting and restaurants there are great. When I was there for a wedding last June, we stayed at the Hilton in downtown Yakima and it was perfect all around. I live in Seattle and went to school in Ellensburg so to me, the drive over the mountains is and was always great. When ever I had the time to stop on the way, I would always go to The Woodman Lodge in Snoqualmie. Kind of off the beaten path, but so worth it if you like a great steak and a strong drink. Good luck on your trip!

http://woodmanlodge.com/

Reply to: Memorial Day week itinerary - Please comment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yakima