We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

Level Contributor
214 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

We are driving up to Beckley Nov 24 to catch the westbound Amtrak. Planning on leaving the car at the station for the week. Anything to do that Sunday PM? We'll probably be there by 2PM. Train is at 6:30PM (if it is on time).

Please, don't have snow!

Edit: We'll be driving north from WNC.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 00:25
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,912 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

One thing that comes to mind..a visit to Tamarack. (just off I-77) Very nice, upscale arts and crafts (all WV made) center. Very nice food court. There is always a free show in the theatre there on Sunday afternoons. That day its the New River Jazz Band....and they are great! It does start at 2, so you might want to try for an earlier arrival time. Not sure how long the concert is, but try for a meal at the food court afterward. The drive from there down to the Amtrak station is about 30 minutes.

http://www.tamarackwv.com/events/213.aspx

And trust me, I don't want snow anymore than you do! ;)

Edited: 16 November 2013, 02:30
Level Contributor
214 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

Thank you, beachlady.

We have been to Tamarack before and have eaten lunch there albeit a while back). However, a second visit is always a benefit. We will probably not eat afterwards as we get dinner on the train but your suggestion sounds like a good way to spend one's time. I checked their web site and they are open until 8PM which is even better than I expected. If the train is going to be late, we won't be sitting at the station cooling our heels for hours.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,912 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

If it is a nice day, you could also drive over to the New River Gorge Bridge.(about 25 minute drive) Nice tourist center there...and a beautiful boardwalk to the overlook. Great photo op! You might still have time to swing thru Tamarack for a quick look if you wanted to. (but I doubt you could do both the concert and the bridge) I guess you would know in advance if the train is running late? There is nothing at all to do down where the station is...especially in the dark. There is the beautiful New River that you cross over, with a couple of beautiful picnic/camping areas, (part of the National Park System) but that is for daytime. It will be dark before 5:30.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 15:53
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

The New River Gorge Bridge & visitors' is definitely worth the time if you have it.

5. Re: Sunday before Thanksgiving. Anything to do before train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Beckley