We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats good about charleston?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
101 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
whats good about charleston?

we are a uk family,looking for a home in usa,charleston looks a nice place,could anyone advise us on the best areas/attractions,any info on charleston would be appreciated.thanks for your time.we are looking for a modest home,as we are not rich thanks again

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats good about charleston?

It's me again. I also travel to Charleston. If I had my choice, I would choose Roanoke over Charleston. Roanoke has more to offer in terms of restaurants, downtown and location. Charleston seems too isolated too me. Roanoke has the Blue Ridge Mtns and is close to Washington, DC, the Atlantic ocean, etc. Are you looking for a small town or something more mid-sized. Have you considered somewhere a bit larger with national sports teams? What about Cincinnati? I would say that the cost of living is very reasonable. It's no where near as expensive at the East or West coast. The climate is mild for the most part and you will experince all 4 seasons.

morgantown, wv
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: whats good about charleston?

I grew up in Charleston. I would say that if you are looking for a small city with homegrown roots, then Charleston is the place. It has started growing quite a bit recently, but it still maintains (as does most any part of WV) a slower paced lifestyle then most cities its size. Compared to other places, its quite safe, but there is not as much diversity as you would find in places like Charlotte or Columbus or Cincinatti. You will definately experience all 4 season and are located nearby things that compliment these season quite well. Charleston is well situated for summertime lake and river adventures as well as ski resorts in the winters. The autumn in Charleston is beautiful when the leaves change. As far as cultural activities, they are expanding in the area as well with the newly built Clay Center. Finding a job, while not impossible is definately not as easy as finding a job in a larger place like D.C., but that goes without saying.

If you're looking for places around Charleston, I might suggest Morgantown, WV. It is farther north about an hour south of Pittsburgh. It is the home of West Virginia Univeristy settled in a nook of the Monongahela River and is a quaint little town that masquerades as a city. Its a very lively place when the college kids are in town and the most ideal sleepy summer mountain town in the summer. Although smaller, Morgantown has a lot ot offer that Charleston does not. First off is the diveristy. Being a college town there is much more acceptance and diveristy there. There are also more cultural events and close-knit activities in the community. For example, the city has noon-time concerts in teh summer in front of hte courthouse for all the business people to enjoy on their lunch break, there is an annual hot balloon festival in the fall, West Virginia University football and basketball games, a wonderful paved over "rail trail" that follows the rivers and streams for biking, walking, jogging, or rollerblading, there are also many art tours, it is home of hte West Virginia Public Theatre and many broadway tours come through. I could go on an on, but let's put it this way it has recieved the title "Best small city on the East Coast" for many many years. Check it out. The only thing I can complain about is the traffic...but hey its America. If you have any questions let me know.

Charleston, WV
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: whats good about charleston?

I live in Charleston. Honestly, it's a rather generic city these days. Years ago Charleston had a lot of character - and characters. But things have been Wal-Martized. Most of the places to eat are chains. We have little in the way of shopping.

But, on the good side. We have a beautiful river and in Kanawha City you can buy a beautiful home with a dock for a fraction of what a nice home on the water would cost you in other parts of the country. Also, the people in Charleston are very decent and freindly. People are just very friendly here. After I travel, and look at all the cold faces staring straight ahead, I'm always glad to get home where people say "good morning" and comment on the weather.

Charleston is a good place to live. It's rather limited in ways but there is a good quality of life here and property values are not prohibitive like they are every where else in the country.

Also, you would be suprised at the amount of transplants we have here. People from all over the country and the world live here. People stay quiet about it though. We want to keep it a secret. So many people who have come to live here tell me they would never go back to where they came from.

But, having said all that, you should visit first. But don't limit your visit to Charleston. There is some of the most beautiful scenery in the country within an hour or two of Charleston. And we're a day's car ride many major cities.

ft lauderdale fl
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: whats good about charleston?

We are thinking of moving to Charleston WV in Sept 2006. My biggest concern is finding work. I am a insurance person and my wife is a retail sales person. Your thooughts would be appreciated. Rich Tozzo

east coast US
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: whats good about charleston?

I have lived most of my life in Charleston with some time in NYC. I have several friends from the UK that come to visit throughout the year. They have all liked Charleston and found it a very comfortable place. A few drawbacks as mentioned elsewhere are problems finding jobs in some areas of work and there are limitations in places to go/eat in comparison to larger cities. However, we have a very active events calendar in the city, ie. free films at the waterfront park, many festivals throughout the year. There are many small places outside of the chain stores that can offer unique shopping. It just takes not going to the city's main mall, The TownCenter. It makes it nice that in these small shops, people working there soon begin to identify with who frequents the shop. I had considered moving to New Orleans next year, but with the damage created by Katrina, that appears to be off the list. Other than Charleston, it was the only city in the US I considered for long term residence. The pace is slower and more relaxed. Cost of living is very inexpensive and traffic is not a significant problem. Best of luck with your moving decision.