We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

Which would you consider the nicer hotel for one night? I've read the reviews, and looked at the photos, and realize the Marriott has 3.5 stars, whereas the Holiday Inn has 3. I'd appreciate a recommendation from someone who is familiar with both hotels. Thanks for any of your comments.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g58947-d141924-R…

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g58947-d100229-R…

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

The Holiday Inn isn't in Charleston. It's in South Charleston. Maybe five miles from downtown Charleston.West on I 64 to Exit 56. Can see it from top of exit ramp. It might be a hair easier to access from the interstate than the Marriot in the middle of town.

Marriott is right across street from large mall if you have any time to kill. Larger selection of dining options within walking distance.

Holiday Inn dining is limited. In house or very good Mexican place a block away.

Holiday Inn was recenty remodeled in the last year.. Very nice. As of a couple months ago the Marriot was in the middle of some remodeling. Can't say how much of what has been done.

Mentioned in this post
South Charleston
South Charleston
West Virginia
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,503 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

Another very nice option is Embassy Suites. It's just a couple of buildings down from the Marriott. Are you looking for a place to just lay your head for the night as you pass thru? There are a couple of cheaper, but still nice, options if so. (but Embassy and Marriott are good locations with the mall right across the street)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

Thanks for both your comments, and for recommending Embassy Suites, as well.

While I'll just be staying one night, I figured I'd check out Charleston while I'm in the area, and probably have dinner at The Bluegrass Kitchen.

Mentioned in this post
Bluegrass Kitchen
Bluegrass Kitchen
380 Reviews
Charleston, WV
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,503 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

I had never heard of Bluegrass Kitchen until a friend took me there a few months ago before a concert. Very good food! Different atmosphere. (big city feel) Since then, I've seen it mentioned 3 or 4 times. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Bluegrass Kitchen
Bluegrass Kitchen
380 Reviews
Charleston, WV
Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

Hands down, the Marriott. Excellent suggestions from Pop and Beachlady. Stay at the Marriott or Embassy Suites and ask concierge for advice on what to see (Capital, Farmers Market, Clay Center, Town Center Mall).

Mentioned in this post
Clay Center
Clay Center
163 Reviews
Charleston, WV
Charleston Town Center Mall
Charleston Town Center...
136 Reviews
Charleston, WV
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

Thanks WVParkfan!

7. Re: 1 night in Charleston: the Marriott or Holiday Inn & Suites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 00:15