We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canaan Valley, WV

Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canaan Valley, WV

Hi all! We will be staying in a cabin in Canaan Valley, WV for a week in late August, with 2 children, ages 4 and 11. Does anyone have recommendations on best children's activities in that area? I know about the parks for boating, swimming, fishing, etc. I'm a new stepmom, this is our first family vacation, and I want to make sure the kids have a good time. Thanks for your help!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

Forgive me if I can't remember the names of all of the local businesses, but since it is a small area, you should have no trouble finding something fun for the kids. There will be local information packets available at stores in the area. Here are a few suggestions:

- Here's a good website with some local info: http://www.canaanvalley.org/

- Miniature Golf: There is a miniature golf course at the Canaan Valley Resort Lodge. There are two other courses in the area, one is located at the corner of Cortland Road and Rt 32, and the other is also on Cortland Road, at the Deerfield Village complex. http://www.deerfieldvillage.com/golf.html

- Canaan Valley Resort Lodge has both indoor and outdoor pools/ minigolf, a scateboard park, paintball, as well as a small arcade and a really good restaurant. http://www.canaanresort.com/

- There are dozens of trails (fully marked with maps) on the Canaan Valley Resort property, and you are certain to see wildlife up close (deer, squirrels, etc).

- The town of Davis contains several restaurants and some interesting shopping (mostly antiques). It is about 10 miles north of Canaan Lodge.

- Don't forget about Blackwater Falls State Park. This is located near Davis, WV, and is a short drive from Canaan Valley. The falls are wonderful to see, and there are a few things to do at Blackwater... horseback riding, art classes, swimming, boating, etc.

- You are very close to some really neat places that would require a short drive. You have both Seneca Caverns and Smokehole Caverns that are a short drive away, along with Seneca Rocks. Seneca Rocks is worth the trip for the view... you don't have to be a mountain climber!

http://www.senecacaverns.com/

http://www.smokehole.com/

http://www.senecarocks.com/

- Both Canaan Resort and Timberline resort offer chairlift rides in the spring, summer and fall on the ski slope areas.

- There are some restaurants that our family really likes:

-Tucker's 304-688-3800 - in the Ski Barn plaza - is a family favorite. The back area is a "bar" and has a great view of the mountains along with pictures of the bears that have visited the field behind the restaurant. We are perfectly comfortable having our children in that bar area... think of it more like a sports pub.

- Big John's Family Fixins (304) 866-4418 - basically a pizza restaurant with video games. A small, "mountain" version of Chucky Cheeses." The kids like it, but not a great meal for the parents.

- Blackwater Brewing Company 304-259-4221 in Davis has good handcrafted beers and excellent food.

- There are many other restaurants in the area that are really good.

My biggest advice is to get a West Virginia map and start exploring. You are staying in a beautiful area with a few tourist stops. Don't be afraid to explore... it is a very safe area, and you'll love what you find.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

The Tucker County Fair will be taking place from August 20- August 25th, 2007.

http://www.citlink.net/~enestor/

They will have music, food, and carnival rides. If you haven't been to a small-town county fair, then this is certainly a slice of "Americana."

The Fairgrounds are about 25 miles from the Canaan Valley Resort Lodge. Mapquest "Camp Kidd" in Parsons, WV.

Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

Thanks so much for your suggestions and input! Obviously, I'm a little nervous about this trip, and your recommendations have helped to put my mind at ease. You're the best!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

The resort lodge has an indoor and outdoor pool. I think as a cabin guest you have access to both. They are putting in some sort of summer slide that looks fun (done on an inner-tube) but it wasn't ready when we were there. The chair lift is shut down right now...don't know when it will be up.

You are sure to see lots of deer VERY CCLOSE if you go to the backside of the lodge in the evenings, and at our cabin one time we had them come right up onto the porch and eat stuff we left on the table...I can't remember what it was, and we didn't mean to leave it...maybe dry cheerios the little ones were snacking on??? ( It is illegal to feed them.) Last summer we also saw baby skunks and baby coons (along with their parents).

This year we ate once at Big John's Family Fixin's. My hubby had steak & I had a steak salad, both were very good.

Blackwater Falls is worth the short drive, but be aware there are a lot of steps to the bottom platform! (Not a problem if you are in good shape.)

Frederick, Maryland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

The kids would love to see deer up close. That would be great! This is all going to make it so much easier for us to plan a trip that will be fun for all of us.

Thanks for your recommendations. I really appreciate the help!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

Canaan Valley Resort offers nature hikes on their grounds which are very easy and would be suitable for the 4 yr old. Hubby & I have done some and really enjoyed them - the guides point out plant life etc that is interesting.

There is putt-putt at the motel across from Canaan Valley stores.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

Be sure to take the kids to see the windmills (modern ones generating power) in Thomas. You can drive right up to them and park. to get out and look.

Both Canaan Ski area and Timberline ski area offer lift rides to the top and back. Well worth it - you can see the whole valley.

Maryland
Level Contributor
65 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

We are back from canaan valley resort! Had a blast. This is the most gorgeous area. We have an 11 yr. old boy and 18 yr. old daughter, so some of our activities would probably be different than yours w/ your 4 yr. old. But I will recommend going to Smokehole Caverns and driving the hour and a half to Cass Railroad. Your 4 &11 yr.olds will like both. I also would recomend a canoe trip on the Cheat River thru Blackwater Outdoors. It's only @ 30 min from the resort and you can rent a canoe for $50 ( we rented 2 ) and you can go out on the river all day. They give you life jackets, take a lunch and you can dock the canoe and the kids can play in the water.

The resort has a really nice outdoor pool and a nice indoor pool. We were in both many times. There is a turtle slide that would be fun for your kids. I saw the cabins. They look very nice. There's a nature center and mini golf.

We ate at Purple Fiddle, Sirianis and Mutley's. I'd highly recommend all 3. Golden Anchor is good but way too expensive. The buffets at the resort are good and lots of food out, but again very expensive. $18.95/adult for dinner, $9.95/adult for breakfast. It is convenient though because you don't have to drive!

This is one of the most scenic areas I have ever seen. Very winding curvy roads and everyone local will pass you!! Pay them no mind!! Not much traffic at all. You will see lots of old trailers and trailer parks, confederate flags, Xmas lites still up, and the people are not mean but not overly friendly either, esp the staff at the resort. They do their job and that's it. It's all pretty much what you think of when you think of West Va.!!!!

You will have a wonderful vacation esp if the weather cooperates!!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

Appa,

Glad you had a good time.

Yes, there's not much industry in the area except for tourism related jobs which don't pay a lot.

However, people there seem to love it. They have to be a hardy crew to handle the bitter and long winters. The area is also a haven for hippies.

10. Re: Canaan Valley, WV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 17:18