We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

Which Davis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

2-3 times a year for the past 8 years, I have rented cabins from MountainTop Realty to enjoy the Old Timberline area of the Canaan Valley.

After one of those rentals, I received a letter telling me that I had gotten a bedspread dirty and that two other bedspreads were missing. I did get the one bedspread dirty but I did not steal two bedspreads. Nonetheless, I was told they were keeping my entire damage deposit of $400 but that a credit may be forthcoming once the cost of two bedspreads and dry cleaning of one bedspread was assessed.

Over a year had passed and I hadn't received any more information about this, so I contacted them. I explained what had happened and asked if I could receive a credit or refund of my remaining deposit. First, it took a very long time for anyone to respond. Then I received this response from Matt Haverty, the general manager.

"I apologize for the delayed response, but we are busy servicing customers who do not vandalize our properties during there vacation stay at this beautiful resort. Feel free to contact my attorney regarding any disagreements pertaining to refunds in this matter."

I was shocked by his response. I had met Matt on several occasions and he had always been so nice so I was surprised by this rude and unprofessional response. I did contact their attorney as Matt suggested, but they told me they did not handle things like this. So, I contacted Matt again and asked him what I should do.

Matt Haverty's response was "you damaged the property, and your deposit was forfeited. stop sending emails here."

Nice, right? I had also copied Rita Jo Haverty (owner) on most of my emails, but she never responded. My memories of all the rentals I enjoyed are now tainted and I will never rent from MountainTop Realty again.

If you are needing to rent a cabin in Canaan Valley, please use a different rental company. Here are a few: Canaan Realty (www.canaanrealty.com), Timberline Four Seasons Realty (www.t4sr.com/new), Land of Canaan (www.landofcanaan).

I hope you find this information helpful. Thank you for reading.

Fairfax, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

I agree, stay away from Mountaintop Rentals. We had a horrible experience with them and will never rent through them again or ever recommend them to anyone.

2. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 11:35
3. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 11:35
Parkersburg, West...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

We rent our houses through Mountaintop and I was disappointed to hear about your experience. We have one house within walking distance of the slopes and one in Old Timberline.

If you've ever gotten such service after renting one of our houses (26 Yoakum or 146 Cabin Mtn) I would want to hear from you directly so we could respond accordingly.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

This is good information to know. I'll stay away from Mountain Top.

Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

I just did a quick check and I have never rented either of your properties. I always brought my dog and your properties did not appear in the dog friendly list.

You may want to consider letting one of the other rental companies handle your property, although I have never rented from them either. I definitely will use one of the another companies and return to Old Timberline someday since it's just one of the most beautiful places around. That's awesome that you have two places there.

Richmond
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

I am renting through them this coming weekend. I have had several e-mail interactions with this company. None of the responses were even complete sentences and questions were not answered. The worst were e-mails from Matt Haverty, who is apparently the manager there. Very unprofessional for a company with 2.5-5 million dollars in revenue. For a business that only provides service, so far the service is very poor. Every interaction makes it clear they want no interactions with their customers. Their auto response for booking online states: "We are a small business with limited resources, so unnecessary phone calls may be taxing." As a marketing company, that is their only value add. What else would you pay them for, either as a owner or a renter. I'm crossing my fingers that the rental will go smoothly and my interactions are very limited with them.

Currently they make you purchase insurance for 45$ that covers $1000 worth of damage, opposed to paying a damage deposit that you would get back when no damage is done. This must be a new policy as it would make the reason for the original post obsolete.

It also bothers me that they post on VRBO, which is a site for owners, not rental companies. I will definitely report back after the weekend. There are plenty of options of places to rent and rent through, you don't have to do business with Mountain Top, they should know this.

Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

That is a great idea how they're charging $45 for insurance instead of the huge deposit. That's an improvement.

I swear, they used to be SO nice. It must be because Matt is now the manager. I think he used to only sell properties there because, when I expressed interest in buying a property, I was referred to Matt and he showed me some places. I had never dealt with him during the rental process before.

You're right, all they do is service so they should focus on doing that well. I wonder what happens if anyone ever calls them during their stay to report something broken? Thank goodness that never happened to me.

Thank you for your post!

Sterling, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

Wow! I wish I had read these posts before this past weekend. I rented a place through Mountain Top and, due to confusion with their email, did not fax the signed Terms and Conditions prior to arriving. Side note: I did check the "I Agree" button to the same document during the online reservation.

When I arrived at the office after closing, my keys were not in the drop box. Over the next several hours, I called the "emergency" phone numbers posted on the office door but got no response. I finally received a call a little after midnight from Matt who claimed he was out of cell range all night. He said that I could come to his house and get the keys but by that time, I had already found another place to stay.

The next morning, they insisted that I would have to pay for the night missed or would not release the keys to me. I walked out.

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

College Park...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not rent from MountainTop Realty

Thank you for posting. I rent a house from them for our ski club every year, but will make sure never to rent from them again.

Get answers to your questions about Davis