We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking around Davis, BWF

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking around Davis, BWF

I first visited BWF when I was 5 or 6 years old and the memory of deer and bears hanging around our cabin is something I'll never forget. I recently went back this past October with my grandparents and aunt and had an absolute blast. The deer were still there and the scenery was beautiful.

So to my question: We went to Seneca and hiked to the overlook which was very scenic, but not much of a challenge. I am considering coming back next October and wanted to know if there are any challenging, scenic trails that are within a one hour drive from BWF? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Rob

Edited: 09 December 2011, 00:18
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Not sure what to classify as challenging...elevation gain, distance? There is a trail that goes from BWF area to Canaan Valley State Park, about 8 miles long. Dolly Sods is a wonderful place to hike as well, but again, not sure how challenging it REALLY is. We went from the lodge at Canaan, across Dolly Sods, and down to the main highway and Streby, a distance of about 19.6 miles. The gravel/dirt road down from the sods is about 4 miles long and I think that downhill was one of the hardest parts of the hike! This is part of the route of the American Discovery Trail follows across WV. Here is a link to some of our time on the sods...we ended up taking an extra loop or two because it was so pretty there and got into the bog area. Yike!

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=285800

The photo is by Bear Rocks in Dolly Sods. Here are a couple of other photos links from the journal as well...both in the sods area.

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=474926

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=474927

Of course, fall is a beautiful time to see WV foilage!

Are you familiar with the American Discovery Trail? It isn't very well known yet, but connects exhisting trails & back roads (mostly) to form a trail that goes from the Atlantic Ocean in Delaware to the Pacific in California. 280 of the miles go through WV.

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Thank you for such a thoughtful and informative reply. When I say challenging, I mean more along the lines of a day hike, whether it be hiking a mountain or a long, scenic trail that ideally is a loop. I am not familiar with the trail you are referring to, but will check it out. I'm assuming it's not a loop. I don't mind hiking a good distance(roundtrip 10+) miles if there is beautiful scenery and then hiking the same trail back if needed. Thanks again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Those pics are beautiful btw. Looks like what I'd be into...

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Thanks for complimenting the pix...Dolly Sods is really pretty but we have never been there in the fall. You would probably find hiking there very rewarding, and you don't have to hike as far as we did. When we went, it was possible to drive even a car up the forest road, but double check before you go! Here are directions from the Canaan Valley area.

From Canaan Valley: follow WV 32 south to the Laneville Road (WV 45). Turn left and go approximately 6 miles to the Red Creek Bridge, where the road changes from pavement to gravel and is now Forest Road 19. Red Creek trailhead is on the left behind the Laneville wildlife management cabin. Continue on FR 19 to get to Rohrbaugh trailhead and FR 75

Here is a link to a sods trail map. It gives distance of each of the trails. If you decide to hike, make sure you go over to Bear Rocks, because I do think that is the prettiest area.

…usda.gov/Internet/…stelprdb5152038.pdf

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Also, be aware that there may be creek crossings, so prepare to remove those shoes. The bog areas might be a little drier in the fall as well. As you can see from the map, it would be possible to do a "loop" using different trails, and not have to backtrack at all, or very little!

As another note, you can take the ski lift turned scenic chair lift at Canaan. Get off the lift and take the trail to the left, and walk your way back down to the valley. There is a small summit that overlooks Canaan Valley that is quite pretty too. As well as I remember, you can look (left?) from the ski lift and see a bald looking rock top that is the overlook.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the info you provided. Just had one more question, but not sure you'd be able to help on this one. I am an avid saltwater fisherman, but when I was down there this past October I noticed that the surrounding areas looked like prime trout waters. Do you know anything about fishing in the area or do could you direct me to a site (hope I'm not breaking any rules here) that might be of help? I googled WV fishing forums and found 2 sites, but neither were very helpful. I know about licenses and regs, but I would like to find a stream where I would have a shot at some fish. Not looking for anyone's honey hole.

Thanks again!

Thans

Edited: 09 December 2011, 12:14
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

I am not very familiar with fishing. Hubby has gone quite a few times (for trout) but not recently. I'll ask him where he went when he gets home, but not sure it was in that particular area.

This might help some in the meantime.

http://canaanvalley.org/rivers-streams/

Tucker County has a pretty active visitor's organization, so you could also call them, but I don't know if they could tell you more than what is on the website.

Below is information from the DNR about Trout fishing.

Trout

Cranberry, Elk above Webster Springs, South Branch of the Potomac near Franklin, North Fork of the South Branch, Shavers Fork of Cheat and Williams rivers.

You will not be close Cranberry or Webster Springs, Franklin is 60 miles away as well. I think Paul may have gone North Fork of the South Branch (of the Potomac) but not sure. Maybe Shaver's Fork.......I think the Williams river is farther south. I'll post again this evening or tomorrow after I talk to him.

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Thank you very much. I actually did a little fishing last time I was there. not sure what town I was in, might have been Davis, but I was near a supermarket and a dollar store. There was a river behind there that a dirt road ran alongside of. I parked and fished above and below the dam. There was some sort of factory or plant on the other side. But I could tell people fished there because unfortunately there was discarded trash. Thanks again!

Edited: 09 December 2011, 20:20
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Yes, I think you were on the edge of Davis. There's a Shop N Save and Dollar General there. Paul said he had fished in the Blackwater River both above and below the falls a ways. He said if you like lake fishing, he would recommend Spruce Knob Lake as well. More later.

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking around Davis, BWF

Thanks again, much appreciated!