We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for travel to Winter Place

Baton Rouge
8 posts
Save Topic
Need advice for travel to Winter Place

We are from South Louisiana and don't get to see or play in snow much. My family of four will be visiting relatives in Flatwoods, KY over Christmas. We want to make a day trip to a ski resort, and Winter Place looks like the closest. We are not skiiers but would like to let the kids (4 and 8) snow tube. Any advice in general? Me and my 8-year-old might take ski lessons. Do you think we should get a room for one day, so my husband and little one would have a place to go and rest? Also, do you have to climb back up the hill when snow tubing or can you ride? Is there anything else nearby that the kids would enjoy?

Thanks,

Candice

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for travel to Winter Place

CandiceG, Winter Place would be a great place for your family...very easy to drive to and perfect for beginners. Yes, you might want to go ahead and stay the night. Looks like it might be a 4 hour drive from Flatwoods, I think. The snow tubing is great at WInter Place. They do have a pulley that you ride up the mountain on the tube. Very good for young kids.

Ski lessons would be fun....but if you really don't get to ski resorts much...and if you're only going to be there for one day.....you might want to skip that, and just stay with the snow-tubing.

There are only a few rooms at WinterPlace and within two or three miles....so reserve early if you want to stay on the property. Otherwise, you can stay in Beckley, (15 miles away) at one of the MANY hotels there. (thats what most people do anyway).

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Have fun!!

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for travel to Winter Place

Think they have night sking/tubing under the lights. That would give kids something they wouldn't forget.

There's a decent sized/quality motel off the Ghent exit of I 77. Almost in sight of Winterplace. Can't help you with name. Changes every couple of years and was in middle of latest swich last month.

Not a lot in the immediate area for meals. If that's an issue, Beckley or even Princton to the south would be options.

Haven't run KY area for long time. Took a few minutes to place Flatwoods. I'd say drive time would be more in 2-2 1/2 hour range depending on traffic.

Hop across river at Ashland and run Rt 52 to South Point.. Hop back across to Huntington and you're on I 64.

Stretch it into two day trip. Spend more time in snow. Stay in Beckley for the night. Browse through Tamarrack before drive back to KY.

Tip: Something to think about. WV Turnpike(I 77) isn't a relaxing drive in the dark. Worse if you're not used to curvy roads and tired from day on slopes.

Baton Rouge
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for travel to Winter Place

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I have one more question. Are there any snow mobiling places around there. I'm thinking one can only snow tube for so long, then what will we do?

Thanks,

Candice

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for travel to Winter Place

Few if any snowmobiles around. Snow comes and goes. Not like farther up north where it's on the ground all winter. We get a bad storm system that lasts a day or two. Few days later the ground is bare again.

Winterplace relies on man made snow. Will be some natural stuff but to keep it skier friendly they use the machines. Temps in that area are a few degrees cooler so it stays on ground longer. Driving down I 77 at Flat Top you can look to one side and ground is bare. Other side it's snow covered at the ski park.

Really don't know what you could do besides snow tube. Beachlady is from Beckley. Maybe she can help with some ideas..

On drive home you could stop in South Charelston and ice skate. Indoor rink just a few easy miles off of I 64.

Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for travel to Winter Place

Sound advice from the other posters. a room is a great idea....look at Ghent, or Princeton. As for Beckley, there are plenty of places off Harper Road, but also a Sleep Inn at Beaver and a brand new, as in was even open last I was there a few weeks ago Microtel right off of

Eisenhower Dr.....I think it is open now. It should prove to be a very fun day for you all! Have fun!

6. Re: Need advice for travel to Winter Place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 12:22
Get answers to your questions about Flat Top
Recent Conversations