We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

Hello WVU Locals! A few friends and I are traveling to Pittsburgh for the 49ers / Steelers game, after looking at the schedule we decided to fly out a day early and see WVU beat up on East Carolina. We are really excited and luckily found a hotel room at the Microtel Inn about 5 miles outside of town on Friday night. We have a few questions though since none of us have been to Morgantown before:

- Game Day - Where do you recommend we park or park / walk from in the morning?

- Friday night - What part of town should we hit to enjoy a few drinks the night before the game?

- Any other Game Day tips or traditions that we should know about?

Thanks for any feedback or advice you can provide us!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

AKJ,

No I have not seen any "written" rules and was very surprised when the security officer told me that. Especially when he said that some officers make people pour out their liquor.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

Found this website about parking:

http://www.wvgameday.com/parkingMaps.cfm

Also:

Alumni Tent (tailgate) open to public for $10 - don't have to be an alumni: http://www.wvgameday.com/faq.cfm says:

"One of the best tailgates, especially in terms of location, that is open to the public is the WVU Alumni Association tent. For about $10, you get all you can eat and drink (Rolling Rock, soda, etc). This tailgate is in Tent City. For WVU Alumni Association Lifetime Members, admission is free.

To reiterate, yes, this is open to everyone. You do not need to be an alumnus to get in. Seriously, this is a great tailgate for the price, location, and atmosphere."

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

Not that a rule of some kind doesn't exist, but the "no bottles" rule sounds like something a security guard has made up and decided to enforce himself. I'd have to see it in writing from the school.

Why just liquor bottlles but not beer bottles? Wouldn't a beer bottle be just as dangerous?

I'm not a liquor drinker so I could be wrong. Aren't some liquors now available in plastic bottles? Even if the one of choice isn't, what if you packed it in plastic bottle just for the tailgate party? Doubt if it would go bad in the few hours in plastic.

Wonder what the rent-a-cop would say if he saw a group having fun drinking out of a 7-Up bottle?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

We went to the Alumni tailgate in Huntington. It was nice to have the band there for a show.

We're going to do the same at Maryland since they apparently don't have any parking. They provided free metro parking passes and that wouldn't be a good place to tailgate.

Pittsburgh, PA
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

Hey all, if you need some info about wvu football check out my fansite at www.wvmountaineersports.com

feel free to contact me via the site if you have any questions about where to stay or go in motown. I lived there for 7 years. It's a great town.

Thanks

Bobby

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

MountaineerBob,

Awesome website. Thanks for the heads up!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

Bump for Guave

38. Re: WVU Football - First timer, need some tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:19