We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Morgantown for the first time

Champaign, IL
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Morgantown for the first time

We will be staying at the Condo's at Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa the week of October 23. I saw bad reviews on the hotel there but nothing on the condo's. These are a part of the RCI. Will we be too late for the turning of the leaves? Also what suggestions on things to do in the area and good places to eat and maybe some nightlife. Any information regarding these questions would be helpful. Thank you. Beeker

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

Have only heard good things about the condo's but do not have first-hand experience. Leaves are just starting to turn. Depends on the weather the next couple weeks (frost) but looks like there should still be a lot of pretty leaves.

Restaurants:

Oliverio's - really really good Italian food Located in the Wharf District

Back Bay - good seafood but the building is getting run down 1869 Mileground Rd.

CJ Maggie's - not fancy but I love their food Check out their menu at

http://www.cj-maggies.com/

Things to do - check out the website http://www.mountainlair.com/. The Mountainlair is part of WVU - guess this site was constructed for students for info on the area.

This website also has more info on the above listed restaurants.

Nightlife - what age group? College bar or other?

What type of thing do you like to do? Nature lover?

Champaign, IL
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

Thanks LvSun for getting back to my post. I also read where Rio Grande III and Madelines were good places to eat??? We were looking more for a good sports bar, piano bar, or maybe oldies (alittle older than college age). We would like to visit some places outside to see the nice foliage and enjoy the WV scenery. Will have a full week there. We thought of maybe driving to Pittsburg one day to see what that is like. Don't want to be driving the whole time, I know the guys will want to play golf a few times. Any other good golf courses besides the one at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, which isn't too far away? Also my sister and I like to go shopping while the guys are golfing, any suggestions. Any other info would be great. Thanks, Beeker

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

You might visit www.wvusports.com and ask there. They have a lot of knowledge of the Morgantown area. They also cover a lot of age groups.

Ruby and Ketchy's is an authentic local place for breakfast. We eat there sometimes on game weekends. Close to where you are staying so ask at the resort.

You could drive down to Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley. You probably should do that. Pittsburgh is just another city but Blackwater Falls is pretty. Canaan is 10 miles further. I'm not sure how long they're open but Cass Scenic Railroad is pretty nice too. You can take the old logging train up to 4000'.

Dolly Sods looks down into Canaan Valley and is vey pretty. Not sure what someone from the flatlands of Illinois would thing of the crooked dirt road getting up there though.

Cooper's Rock is at the top of the mountain to the east of where you will be. Its kind of a nice park and has some pretty impresive views. Its worth a stop since its so close. The leaves can be pretty too.

You can look at www.alandsuejohnson.com for pictures of some of these places. Look under Almost Heaven, WV.

If the football team is still winning by then, you might consider learning the words to Country Roads too. You might hear it sung a few times.

Have fun.

Champaign, IL
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

Thanks AKJ - all of it sounds great! We are really looking forward to visiting West Virginia. It is so much better when someone has been there or lives there to let you in on some of the local information. We try to do as many things as the week lets us get done without wearing ourselves out. We have found alot of neat places by just asking the locals what to do. Thanks again for help.

Beeker

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

I think the Rio Grand is a branch of the ones in Charleston. People really like it - authentic Mexican food. But my vote is still for Oliverio's - be sure to have the calamari and fried zucchini.

Stop in a grocery store in WV (ex Krogers) and get some Oliverio Italian Style Peppers to take home with you.Use them with sausage (link style but not breakfast sausages) on a hoagie bun to make excellent sandwichs. People always rave about them. I don't know if Oliverios sell outside of WV -- they are located in Clarksburg WV.

Never heard of Madeline's. Is it the restaurant located near Lakeview (not the one in the lodge). If so, ate there once years ago but don't remember how the food was.

My experience with Morgantown is visiting the kids at college and football games. There is supposed to be a good dress shop in town but parking is horrible.

Morgantown is a college town. Was a small town that keeps growing and growing as the university gets larger and larger. The campus is spread out over several locations. It has just been in the last few years that Morgantown has gotten several new chain stores. One mall is decent but the other I think has basically turned into a Wal-mart.

I think you are in luck and there is not a home football game while you are there. On game day, Morgantown usually becomes the largest city in the state. Unless you are there for the game, you don't want to be in town - they do a good job with the flow but traffic is still horrendous. In WV, we don't have a pro football team so WVU gets the fans etc that the pro teams get in other states. This year, so far, WVU is ranked #4 in the nation so games are well attended by people from all over the state.

This weekend, will try to remember to ask my son about bars you are looking for (son is student at WVU). Used to know of a couple, but they shut down. Will also ask him about things to do.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

PS, If you want to see the real West Virginia, you should take a day and go to Canaan Valley (includes Blackwater Falls).

We were at Canaan last weekend, the leaves are changing, they may be at peak this weekend. But the leaves on the way there are just starting to change and should be gorgeous but the end of October.

From Morgantown, it will take you about 1 and a half to 2 hours to get to Canaan Valley. You can go up Rt 68, through Maryland or down I-79 then Rt 33 through Buckhannon and Elkins. Buckhannon is a nice little town - many shops on Main Street have been turned into antique shops etc. This way to Canaan Valley will show you the real WV.

I like Morgantown but that area is not the "real beauty" of West Virginia.

Pittsburg has many things to do but again, it is your typical big city. Instead, I would take that day and head to the Valley.

If you decide to go to Canaan Valley, will be glad to give you more info ro you can look through earlier posts.

I love Canaan Valley. We have a weekend cabin there -- the deer are thick in the yard, during summer a bear usually wanders in our yard, last weekend we had wild turkeys in our yard.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

Forgot to mention, you did hear about the terrible Sago Mine tragedy earlier in the year? It was all over the national news. That is in Buckhannon.

Leaves at Canaan were at peak this weekend. Lower elevations are starting to change.

Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

Lived in Morgantown for many years.

Very close to where you'll be staying is Coopers Rock State Forest. The overlook is highly recommended and so are some of the hiking trails, including the one to the Henry Clay Iron Furnace and to Rock City (both within Coopers Rock). The leaf change should be at it's peak that week - maybe slightly past. The Core Arboretum is in Morgantown and is nice for hiking. Very hilly though - but where isn't in West Va.

Other posters had good ideas about travel - however at higher elevations (Canaan Valley, Blackwater, etc) the leaf change will be about two weeks ahead of Morgantown and will be past peak. Blackwater Falls is recommended (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away) in the Monongehela National Forest. Seneca Rocks (about 45 mins from Blackwater Falls) is also outstanding. I just came back from a trip to that region last week.

For nightlife you might want to consider Crocketts in nearby Star City (borders Morgantown). Oliverios is a good Italian Eatery along Morgantowns new River walk.

9. Re: Visiting Morgantown for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 21:20