We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harman's North Fork Cottages

State College
2 posts
Save Topic
Harman's North Fork Cottages

It was frustrating trying to work with Harman's North Fork Cottages.

First, their website showed outdated prices for reservations and it was a hassle to convince them to honor the website prices.

Second, after I made reservations, they tried to charge me additional money because "Our county has increased its occupancy tax by 3%. Therefore your new balance is noted below."

Despite these hassles an inconveniences, Harman's North Fork Cottages kept the booking fee.

It's funny how they have no problem charging a little extra money here and there, but when it comes to customer satisfaction, there's no way to return the booking fee.

I would not recommend trying to work with Harman's North Fork Cottages.

Seneca Rocks State Park
Geologic Formations, State Parks
Seneca Rocks Discovery Center
Educational sites, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Seneca Rocks Climbing School
Sports Camps & Clinics, Climbing Tours
West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

Thanks for the input so we know concerning passing info on to others.

Sometimes these little businesses are not very business savy!

Cabins, West...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

jbuilder,

Please contact me, Owner Harman's NFC. (manager@wvlogcabins.com) We will gladly refund your booking fee. Or offer you a free stay.

(1) Our pricing was all over the place this year. I agree. A combination of upgrades to cabins and unknown finish dates on those cabins as well as price increases created problems with 2008 pricing. That's my mistake.

(2) Also, our local county government was indecisive about an increase in the hotel motel tax. When they made their decision, we had to modify our pricing going forward (e.g for bookings already made, and bookings to be made).

We are mandated by law to charge the tax on reservations that have already been made. So we did.

(3) The office staff follows the policies we put in place. The booking fee is followed because I tell them the rules they must follow. They did their job. The fee should have been waived on this occasion because of the modification/increase of the booking. But they do not have that option.

Our family has been providing cabins for 68 years. We do our best every day. Sometimes we do not meet the customers expectations. For this I apologize.

Todd Harman, Owner Harman's North Fork Cottages LLC

Steeler Country, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

ok, so it's easy to see that you're displeased about some of the "office" stuff, but can you tell me how the actual vacation experience there was, or did you not even end up going?

I'm strongly considering a trip there in the fall and I'm curious to know about things like the amount of privacy (in other words, are the cabins right on top of each other?), how close the cabins are to the water, how busy it is, things like that...

I'm having a hard time finding anything online as far as actual reviews of the place, so even though you seem to be displeased, I thought I'd ask...

Cabins, West...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

The cabins are sitting along 1 mile of stream. Cabins 1 to 8 are on 5 acres of river front property. You can see cabins from cabins. We do not use the word secluded to describe the cabins. But considering other options these cabins are placed as good as possible and the view of the river and rock cliff (e.g. the main picture on the web site) is breathtaking. Rarely do customers complain that have visited these properties. After the 1st 8 cabins, a bridge across the north fork river takes you to the upstream property. Cabins 9-15 are located on 5 acres of river front property. YOu can see cabins from cabins again. The upstream property is considered more private because your cabin is farther away from the Rt 55 access road. Cabin #15, #16, and #18 would be considered more private, but you can see cabins from cabins. In total harman's cabins are on 12 to 14 acres of river from property. The total property is 100 acres which borders the Monongahela National Forest.

jbuilder has not responsed to our post.

Franklin, WV
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

angelosity2001. I don't think you'll be disappointed with these cottages. They are certainly in a beautiful setting. If you are looking for total privacy you will only find this in a vacation rental home but you'll pay more. There are other cabins in the area but Harmans would definitely be my first choice.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

I get this person's frustration with the billing aspect, but I can't imagine a more relaxing and perfect vacation spot than these cottages. My boyfriend and I stayed there for a weekend in February. The cabins aren't extremely private, but we found cabin #13 to be private enough for us. During the day it was clear that most of the cabins were booked and had bustling inhabitants, but at night we didn't notice anyone around and all was very quiet.

The facilities in the cabin were great. The kitchen was nicer than my kitchen at home. The river went right outside our door so we woke up watching people fish in it. Between the fireplace and the outdoor hottub, which at night provides an amazing view of the stars, I can't think of a more romantic place for us to have stayed.

The cabins are also very close to lots of hiking trails, many of which are in walking distance. We plan on coming back this summer to veg out for another weekend.

Martinsburg, WV
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

I've stayed with Harmon's on a few occasions in the past and have always had a pleasant stay. Never had any issues with billing or charges on the stay... for what you get, the quality and amenities, they charge less than others in the area.

Awesome location, great views, great fishing and a lot to do around the grounds and in the area..

My experience in the past has been, if you go into a situation like this with a bad attitude, you chances of working with the business to an agreeable outcome are poor. Not saying this was the case if your situation...

Elkview, WV
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

I just wanted to say I have been booking with Harmans for years! I love it there, they are very wonderful people and they are alwasy very respectful and they greet you and treat you like family. The location is perfect and the cabins are breathtaking!!! You would have to see them to reallyyyyy understand how wonderful they are. You feel so at home there. My kids love it there, they can ride their bikes and play in the river, and they don't have to worry about getting run over by cars, like at other places. This is the perfect vacation place for the whole family. I feel bad for you having such a bad experience there, because you could have had a wonderful experience that you "CANNOT" find ANYWHERE else! I think that if you gave it another chance you would feel the same way I do, try it again, I think you will love it just as much and my WHOLE family does!

Fairfax
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

I have stayed at Harman's Cabins many times over the last 30 years. We were among the original families at the cabins.

Harmon's cabins are a wonderful place to stay. I cannot say enough about the beauty and peacefullness of the place.

I have never had any trouble with reservations or lack of concerned service from any of the staff at Harmon's.

The property has some of the best fishing in WV and the ABSOLUTE best "swimming hole" in the state!

I promise that you will enjoy your stay.

The cabins are beautiful and well appointed, most with hot tubs and all close enough to the river that you can be in the water within a minute or two.

If you want to discover the beauty of WV and the calm of a stay in the "country", this is the place to be!

Morgantown, WV
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Harman's North Fork Cottages

We have stayed at Harman's numerous times and have never had a problem with them or their cabins. We have stayed in four different cabins. We would highly recommend them to anyone.

Get answers to your questions about Seneca Rocks