We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded does it get?

Which Snowshoe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
733 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
How crowded does it get?

Hi, we're thinking of taking our kids to Snowshoe later this winter or possibly next winter. Our kids are still beginner skiers, and we don't want to go when it is too crowded (having to wait more than a minute or two for the lifts). How busy does it get on the weekends? What about over the Xmas break? We were thinking about President's Day weekend (but not President's Day itself, when we would drive home). Obviously non-Xmas break weekdays would be less crowded, but we don't have a lot of flexibility with the kids being in school. Any inside info on the crowds would be appreciated!

virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How crowded does it get?

Unfortunately, there is no escaping a crowd on a holiday weekend.

Depending on ages of the children, missing some school may be only way to achieve your goal.

On a non-holiday weekend, Sunday skiing is great since most people are departing. Arranging to depart on a Mon/ Tues is a good plan. Next best plan is skiing on Thurs/Friday because most guests haven't arrived.

March is a fun and a less crowded time to ski so perhaps Spring Break should be a consideration.

Whenever you go, know that Silver Creek, which is a shuttle ride from Snowshoe village and included in your lift ticket, tends to be less crowded and good for beginners.

Of course, If you really want to avoid a lift line enroll the children in ski school, which I think is wise to accelerate progress and avoid developing bad habits.

Hope it works out for your family.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How crowded does it get?

Thanks, that's just the information I was hoping for. I do like spring skiing, because I don't like the cold and I don' t mind if the snow is a little slower, but unfortunately our spring break is not until April. We may just have to deal with the crowds.

Laurel, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How crowded does it get?

I wouldn't recommend March at Snowshoe. They have enough trouble with rain in January and February, much less March.

Also, I agree it's crowded on the weekends. A minute or two for a lift isn't realistic (unless it's raining! :-).

If spring break is in April, consider out west. We are going to Vail for Easter this year. We've done that several times and enjoy the bright sunny spring conditions without any rain. The lift lines aren't very long either and they have a great kids ski school.

chesapeake
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How crowded does it get?

Bike traveler is an idiot. Some ot the best snow falls in March.

5. Re: How crowded does it get?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 07:19