We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas at Oglebay?

Which Wheeling hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
connecticut
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Christmas at Oglebay?

My extended family is going to meet-up at the Oglebay for a Christmast get-away. Will there be enough to do for active teens (12-16)? What kinds of things? Do they do any special activities over the holiday? Thanks in advance.....

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

The biggest event is the Festival of Lights (which is fantastic). Oglebay Resort has a ski area, indoor pools, horseback riding, and more. It would be a great place to spend the Holidays!

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

Oglebay is great and they will have lots of information for you too. Depending on how long you are staying, a few other ideas close by would be ice skating at Wheeling Park, bowling at Elm Grove Lanes, and lazer tag at Foggy Bottom Country Club.

connecticut
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

Thanks so much for the info - we are up in the air for how long we are staying - we might leave on Sunday after Christmas, but have our cottage reserved thru Thursday the 30th - that's why I'm trying to gather ideas for activities (worried the tweens might get bored).

Anyone ski/snowboard here? Will there be plenty of snow?

Brennan5!

Edited: 10 November 2010, 13:52
Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

They have snowmaking equipment, so unless it is unusually warm (which it never is during the holidays), there should be plenty of snow for skiing and snowboarding.

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

The ski slope at Oglebay is lots of fun. There is a fire pit, snack bar and picnic tables. If its too cold or snowy you can be inside and watch from the windows. Since it's on the top of the hill it has a nice view too.You'll probably also see people sledding and cross county skiing if the snow is good. Oh, and there is a good ski shop at the bottom of the hill on the way to Oglebay in case you need something :)

connecticut
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

can we bring our own sleds to use? Is the slope really big? Is it good for beginners - lame for more advanced? Just trying to get a feel!

Thanks so much for the info! I'm starting to get excited! :-)

Brennan5!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

It is definitely a beginners slope, so "more advanced" skiers may be bored. But it is a fun atmosphere, which makes up for the lack of a challenging slope.

As far as sledding, I would assume that you could bring your own. Just to be safe, you should call them to get specific answers: Oglebay General Information - (800)-624-6988 or (304)-243-4000.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
92 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

Funny, I never knew that Olgebay had skiing and I have been going there since I was young. But, I am not a skiier, so that may be why. LOL But, I agree that the lights are fabulous. There is also the Good Zoo, which is a small scale zoo, but the kids might enjoy. Look up DiCarlo's Pizza and treat yourself to my favorite pizza place! Call ahead though so that you don't have to stand and wait forever. It is only take-out!

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

Apparently Oglebay had skiing, then it was gone, and then they refurbished it about 5-6 years ago. It's not big but it is fun! The guy who owns that ski shop skies there and skied in the NASTAR Nationals last year! There is a good sledding hill across the road from the ski slope and you can bring your own gear. We actually were there last weekend and it was so festive! Everything is decorated and the lights are on. There were lots of people in the lodge and they were playing Christmas carols on the piano in the upstairs lobby. Now all it needs it snow!

connecticut
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas at Oglebay?

Awesome - I'm getting so excited now for our Christmas Holiday - I'm keeping the fingers and toes crossed for snow!!! Thanks everyone for all the information! Any recommendations for dinner and/or lunch off the resort? Any tips/tricks for eating at the resort? We're staying in a cabin - any tips/tricks for staying there? How about firewood - do they sell it on location? And, is there a decent grocery store on nearby? What about wildlife - deer, etc., should we expect to see creatures of the forest around?

Brennan5!

Get answers to your questions about Wheeling
Recent Conversations