We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeleine Island or Bayfield?

Lewisville
1 post
Save Topic
Madeleine Island or Bayfield?

Is it better to stay at Madeleine Island or Bayfield? This is for a wedding anniversary trip and we do not mind the inconvenience of a ferry ride if Madeleine Island is more charming of a destination than Bayfield.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
454 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeleine Island or Bayfield?

Personally, I would stay in Bayfield. The island is small, has a bunch of motels, but also has a few historical sites and a wonderful state park where there is a huge beach. (you can go swimming if you want, temperatures are brisk) but Bayfield has more of a selection of motels/hotels, is the place where you pick up all of the tour ferries which take you to and around all of the islands/lighthouses. Bayfield itself has a lot of things to do. Go to madferry.com to see what there is to do on Madeline Island and make up your mind from reading that. This island is not like Mackinac Island where there are tons of things to do. However, if you like it quiet, etc., then stay on the island. If you like variety in terms of things to do, places to stay, places to eat, then I suggest that you stay in Bayfield or around there. I definitely would make reservations soon as many places fill up early. There are no chain motels in the area. (or none that were there the last time I was there) If you cannot find any motels available in Bayfield, Ashland is just down the road a bit.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madeleine Island or Bayfield?

I agree with alwaystosagirl1983 100%. The island is very small and not too much to do. I'm pretty sure you could do everything on the island within one day. The ferry gets expensive if you have to keep going back & forth to do things.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madeleine Island or Bayfield?

BAYFIELD!!! Madeline Island was nice to visit for a day... we liked Big Bay Beach. Otherwise there wasn't much else. Bayfield offers great resturants, hiking trails, tours and things to do!

4. Re: Madeleine Island or Bayfield?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Apostle Islands
More Apostle Islands Topics