We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Twin Cities to Apostle Islands - scenic route?

Plano, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Twin Cities to Apostle Islands - scenic route?

Hi,

We'll be heading up for the first time to the Apostle Islands and I wonder if some routes are more scenic than others. I'm not familiar with this stretch of road between St. Paul and Bayfield, WI

Thanks!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Twin Cities to Apostle Islands - scenic route?

one option is to take in part of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway on the WI side:

www.nps.gov/sacn/planyourvisit/maps.htm

also Hwy. 8,63 and 2 in WI would be a good route through Hayward on up. Be sure and catch the Delta Diner along the way www.deltadiner.com

Otherwise one route they give goes through Pine City, Duluth and all that on the way to Bayfield and that's another option. I don't know how scenic that is on the MN route side of it. That's Hwy. 35.

You could do a combo of, say take Hwy. 35 to Hwy. 8 and continue that way or stick with 35 or throw in some of the National Scenic Riverway drive on the WI side.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 15:58
2. Re: drive from Twin Cities to Apostle Islands - scenic route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Apostle Islands
More Apostle Islands Topics