We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle River area

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Eagle River area

Traveling to the Eagle River area for a wedding in the beginning of September. We are making a long weekend of it and traveling with a two month old baby. ANy recommendations for restaurants, sight seeing, etc while wer are over there would be greatly appreciated. Also, looking to get a spa recommendation for a massage. Thanks a lot!

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagle River area

Don't know spas but if you want to drive, about 15 miles to St. Germain, Peggy at Tall Pines (corner of State Hwy 70 and South Bay Rd.) gives massages and also has a lovely shop with pottery and handmade twig/birch furniture and decorative items. While in St. Germain stop at Earthwerks, farther down on 70 in St. Germain. Also a great bunch of homemade rustic furniture as well as antiques. Don't miss Wolf Pack cafe while in St. Germain. Best breakfast in town, and good lunch too. St. Germain also has the Snowmobile Hall of Fame and a brand new biking trail.

Friendship house in downtown Eagle River is a great family place, nice menu and good food. Honey Bear has the best fish fry, and you can have their fish fry any day. Try their cheese curds, which they batter there in a tempura-type batter, light and delicious (but not low fat!) They are closed sundays. You might enjoy the children's museum, though the baby is young, it is still a nice place to take babies as well as older children. Carl's Wood Museum is fun.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagle River area

Thanks for the info. I have never been to the area before. It seems like there will be a lot of touristy and quaint little shops and restaurants to wander in and out of. Is this a correct assumption?

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagle River area

There are some nice shops but it's a little 'tacky touristy" sometimes! Downtown Eagle River, there isn't a lot of 'great' stuff but we have some craft shops that offer some nice things including rustic woodsy stuff and beautiful jewelry. If you like down home try the senior craft shop across the street from the movie theater. Senior citizens in the area are able to make extra money by selling their handicrafts at a decent price and some of the stuff is really nice! The Pink Coyote is an Eagle River institution for jewelry, and Arrow Gift Shop, The Trading Post and the Moccasin Shop are also nice shops that have been around for a long time. Fountain Blu is nice, but I haven't been in there in awhile. Some duplicate or similar items in some shops and some "Made in China" junk but I like browsing in those shops even as a local. Soda Pops is a neat historic building that is now a hamburger/ice cream joint. Baby won't appreciate it now but kids enjoy the 'ice cream clown' treat and the hamburger 'bar' is cool. (A bit pricey for a burger but worth it for the atmosphere if you like historic buildings like me.) Alexander's Pizza is yummy but a kind of 'kid' hang out with games. A drive out of town will get you to Twelve Pines, well known for their delicious pizza and nice atmosphere. If you want something a bit more uspscale, I went to Nero's for prom. Pricey but really great food and a live piano player. (Not sure of the schedule for that) If coffee is your thing, (something I like to do) then we have three coffee shops in town, all of which I like. In the mall with Pick N Save is Jabberwocky, a nice book shop with a great kid section and in Jabberwocky is Terra Nicole's coffee shop. Yummy wraps that come with pita chips. I also love the atmosphere at Brew Moon, comfy chairs and great coffee and sandwiches. They have games and reading materials and a pretty outdoor patio if you're blessed with nice weather. Brew Moon is downtown and a great lunch spot if you spend the afternoon browsing town on foot. Newer and just a short drive out of downtown on Hwy 70, by the Fair Grounds is Eagle River Roasters. I really like this shop too, and the atmosphere is sleek and inviting and the coffee is great. Just got gift certs for my bday but haven't had any lunch items there yet. If you like the outdoors, Eagle River offers fishing, boating, hiking, etc... September is a fine time to rent a pontoon and cruise the chain. (Call Heckel's Eagle River Marina) We're experiencing an early fall due to droughty conditions so you will get to see some fall colors already. Weather up here is up and down and you need to pack for all contigencies-40 degrees to 80! It's a slower pace up here, not a lot to 'do' if you aren't into sports or the outdoors but a great place to slow down. Good luck on your trip. Let me know if you want any more info.

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
287 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagle River area

The Flour Sack on 70 near the fairgrounds is a nice little shop; gift items, bulk foods and coffee. They have a small cafe in the back that has a nice lunch menu. I had the veggie wrap last time in and it was delicious. Have a nice trip!

5. Re: Eagle River area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 06:35
Get answers to your questions about Eagle River