We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Door county with kids - things to do

chicago, il
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Door county with kids - things to do

Hi, we are coming to door county for the first time in Sep 2nd week. We are staying at newport resort. We are looking for things to do with young kids. Kids are 2 & 4 years. I realise door county is beautiful, but looking for more specific things. How is the beach in egg harbor? Are there any great working farms / orchards we can take them too that you would recommend. In MI-coloma, we went to deer forest and the kids loved it. So looking for things like that. Are there any specific trails where the kids can bike.. they're very young so we're looking for well paved trails. Any specific parks that you could recommend. Thanks so much. Just FYI, we're not looking for water parks or things like that..

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

Peninsula State Park for all kinds of trails to walk/bike and drive around to (a lighthouse too)

Whitefish Dunes State Park (singing sand on the dog end of the beach)

Cave Point Cty. Park next door to Whitefish

Cana Island Lighthouse

maybe The Farm in Sturgeon Bay:

http://www.thefarmindoorcounty.com/

Wilson's Ice Cream Parlor for dessert in Ephraim and Door County Confectionary in Ephraim for fun treats

…go.com/vacations/…

…explorewisconsin.com/countypages/door.asp

www.doorcounty.com

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

The beach in Egg Harbor is terrific for kids. The Farm outside of Sturgeon Bay is not a working farm, but kids love it. I don't think there are any bike trails that would be appropriate for kids your age-certainly not in Peninsula State Park. You could, however, rent bikes and buggies and tagalongs from Nor-Door outside of Peninsula State Park and ride the Sunset Trail. Your 4 year old will enjoy the nature programs and crafts at the Peninsula State Park nature center. Check with the park to get a schedule of events. Wilson's ice cream is not good for kids. They don't let you sit at tables if you just get a cone. A much better choice is Not Licked Yet custard in Fish Creek, which has both inside and outside tables and a big playground. Door County Confectionary has a location in Egg Harbor, where you are staying. I don't think Cave Point is a good place for kids. There are abrupt drop-offs to rocks in the water. You'll really have to keep an eye on them. Outside of the Egg Harbor beach, the best playgrounds are in Sister Bay, Bailey's Harbor, Ellison Bay, Gills Rock and Jacksonport-not worth a drive for just the playground, but good places to get them out of the car and let them run around. You didn't ask about restaurants, but some places that are good for kids, and near Egg Harbor, are the Cornerstone in Bailey's Harbor, PC Junction at the corner of County A and E, and Julie's in Fish Creek. The Cornerstone has a very inexpensive kids' menu. PC Junction brings the food out on a toy train, and they have a big outdoor play area in back-you might go there just to have a beer and let the kids play. Julie's has a good kids' menu. Ask for tables behind the fireplace where they have a couple of little booths just for kids. I've spent time in Door County with my kids since they were born. Let me know if you have any other questions.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

Peninsula State Park has so much to offer for a family besides biking which is why I mentioned it. Drive through, take in the views, walk up Eagle Tower for a great view, and even dip down on one of the trails just to check it out. It's a gorgeous place and worth stopping if you get the chance.

In regards to Cave Point you don't have to go below and with close supervision it's just fine. If you're at Whitefish Dunes consider stopping at next door Cave Point and at least getting the overview. There are many activities people count out with kids and that's really unnecessary. Whitefish Dunes has a lovely long beach to play and enjoy the singing sand and an indoor area to explore a few things with the kids they may enjoy as well.

We just ordered dessert at Wilson's and had no trouble getting seating. We didn't go the busiest week or order a "cone" so I can't attest to that. Wilson's is in a lovely location and you can also enjoy your dessert in the great outdoors. We enjoy the beach areas in Ephraim, very shallow for a long ways!!! (at least on the south end where we stayed) Here's the link for their public beach www.ephraim-doorcounty.com/parks/beach.htm

Don't go to PC Junction if you expect to sit at the counter and enjoy the train delivering food and blowing bubbles and such. We came the very tail end of August, and 2:30PM in the afternoon and were promptly whisked outdoors and not even asked whether we wanted to wait for a seat so we could witness the train bringing the food. There's not a lot of indoor seating just mainly around the counter and cramped/dark. I was underwhelmed.

Instead you may want to check out:

http://www.woodorchard.com/fall_fun.htm the kids may enjoy the pedal cart track (not just fall fun) and good eats/shopping inside. This is in Egg Harbor.

Choice Orchards you can do picking http://www.choiceorchards.com/

doorcounty.com/what-to-do/recreational-activ…

http://www.handsonartstudio.com/ Fish Creek

an option/possibility:

http://www.eggharborfunpark.com/ (it's not a waterpark but may be in that realm of things you're not interested in but I thought it was worth mentioning either way).

Seaquist:

http://www.seaquistorchards.com/

Edited: 07 July 2011, 21:59
chicago area
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

Great advice from the above two posters, and I'm glad you are not looking for waterparks as I consider Door County to be the anti-Dells and that's one thing that has kept me coming back for years. Good choice on the Newport with kids your age. While the weather the 2nd week of Sept. should be very nice, thier huge indoor pool and play area may come in handy. It's also an easy walk into town. For chidren your age, do not miss The Farm or P.C Junction but double check P.C's hours, I believe they are closed on Mondays and one other day. Also, the water at the beach will be cool!

midwest
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

Our daughter and granddaughters stayed at Newport last year and they loved it! They were with her in-laws and it worked out for all of them. So hopefully it will work out for you and your family too.Our granddaughters were around the same age as your children last year. There was plenty to do at Newport in itself and from what I remember my daughter telling me, there was a playground also!

A place that I recommended to my daughter was Plum Loco Animal Farm.

Our grandchildren loved it!

Plum Loco Animal Farm is a hands on play-farm village located in Egg Harbor.

http://www.plumlocoanimalfarm.com/

While Julie's does have those cute little kid sized booths next to the adult ones, I personally would not go back to that restaurant just for that. But that's just me. My husband and I, and our daughter and her husband and children all had 'not so great meals' and we felt they were overpriced. We went at different times, and not together

For around the same price, you can get a good meal at The log Den.(You can spend more if you want to.) It is family friendly and a great atmosphere.

We really enjoyed our meal and service there last year.

http://www.thelogden.com/Home_Page.html

As far as the Ice Cream & custard... it all depends on you! :) Everyone has their likes and dislikes and favorites. I like Wilson's and so does my husband. Our daughter and son -in -law like ' Not licked Yet. I think kids don't care and don't really notice the difference until they are a little bit older. I do like that Not Liked Yet has lots of room for children to play, but then again Wilson's has a whole waterfront to enjoy with plenty of grassy areas! We like to walk around these areas while enjoying our treats.

We went bike riding Labor Day week last year in Peninsula State park and it was not crazy busy during the days right before Labor Day. It picked up closer to Labor Day, but on the whole, Door County is so spread out there is enough room for everyone.

Get a map and explore. We have found this is the best way to " Do the Door!"

Enjoy, and like RickMP said, anymore questions... just ask.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

One more idea from my kids-go to the Welcker's Point shelter in Peninsula State Park at dusk and watch the bats come out to feed. They'll fly right over your head.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

Thankyou very much for all the tips and especially for explaining in detail why you liked/disliked them. It really helps. We've settled on plum loco as a definite must go. I need to check into the other places mentioned. We may try the pc junction. My dauther is very well behaved in restaurants, my son has his occasional moments, so we'll possibly have most of our meals at home. Thanks for the info on both the ice-cream places though. We may end up trying both.

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

You can pick your own cherries and apples at Hyline Orchard Farm Market and Schartner's Farm Market.

PC Junction, a train-themed restaurant with an outdoor play yard, ride-on's with trails through the woods and an oversized chess set. Open Wednesday-Monday.

Skyway Drive-In Theatre (Harry Potter is playing now, but Cars 2 was on the big screen not too long ago). Both are no more than 15 minutes from the Newport Resort.

A geocaching treasure hunt is fun for all ages. All you need is a GPS. Visit: http://www.geocaching.com.

For more ideas: www.eggharbordoorcounty.org/where-to-play

Have fun with the kiddies!

9. Re: Door county with kids - things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Egg Harbor