We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

Sutherland, Scotland
Level Contributor
65 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

What is Ephraim like as a place to walk?

And in particular, what is walking along Highway 42 like? Can you walk right out to Peninsula State Park?

Mentioned in this post
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Green Bay
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

Ephraim is a beautiful place to walk! There are walkways all along the water side of Highway 42 and it's fairly easy to cross the highway in the crosswalks. There are stores and walkways on the other side of the highway also. It's also nice to walk up some of the side streets on the hill and enjoy the view of the harbor.

I don't think you would want to walk to Peninsula State Park from Ephraim. There is a short stretch of highway between the edge of town and the park entrance that does not have a sidewalk and the highway ascends a pretty large hill at that point. The entrance is a very short drive from the edge of town though....less than a mile.

Be sure to stop by the historic Wilson's restaurant for an ice cream break during your stroll.

Mentioned in this post
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Wilson's Restaurant
Wilson's Restaurant
930 Reviews
Ephraim, WI
Sutherland, Scotland
Level Contributor
65 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

Thanks for that.

It looks to me like Fish Creek would be a better base for walking into the Peninsula State Park - so maybe I'll stay there instead.

Mentioned in this post
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Green Bay
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

The entrance in Fish Creek is right in town and very easy to walk to from most hotels in the area. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

It may not matter to you or not, but Ephraim is a dry town. Hard to believe there is a dry town in Wisconsin, but it is. Ephraim is so small that if you blink while driving through, you'll miss it, so finding a cocktail is just a stone's throw away.

Mentioned in this post
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Sutherland, Scotland
Level Contributor
65 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strolling along Highway 42 in Ephraim

Well, I've been to Door County, and now I'm home.

Ephraim was a beautiful spot, but following the advice here, we stayed in Fish Creek, and have no regrets. Wonderful. We did a lot of walking in Peninsula State Park - and also had a stroll around Ephraim.

Oddly enough, even though we stayed in Fish Creek - we generally ate out in Ephraim - including sampling what Wilson's had to offer!

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Get answers to your questions about Ephraim