We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly?

Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Dog Friendly?

Are their places that are dog friendly to stay?

7 replies to this topic
chicago area
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Friendly?

Yes, check out the official Door County travel website and also VRBO, look for the "paws" symbol. Please check the fine print carefully as many of these places have restrictions on size of dogs and most have additional cleaning fees. Most if not all the lodging from Egg Harbor north that are condos and have pools, kitchens etc. do not allow pets. Places such as the Newport, Landmark, and Ashbrooke in Egg Harbor, the Homestead Suites in Fish Creek, The High Point and Bay Breeze in Ephraim, The Scandanavian Lodge and Pheasant Park in Sister Bay are no pets. You should also realize that most places that allow pets have a policy that forbids you to leave them in the room while you are shopping and dining etc. There are a couple of restaurants that welcome dogs, such as Girbralter Grill and Julies in Fish Creek. We love our dogs dearly but in 28 years of travel to Door County we've left them home.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Beaver Dam...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Friendly?

Bailey's Harbor is very dog friendly. The Beachfront Inn is very dog friendly and the staff is great. Any restaurant in Bailey's Harbor with outdoor seating allows dogs to sit with you outside. The Harbor Fish Market and Grill restaurant even has a dog menu. There is also a dog beach a short drive away. We took our dog last year and had a great time.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Friendly?

We have used jr vacation rentals and they have several pet friendly cottages. Wild Tomato in Fish Creek allows dogs on the patio. We took our dog last year but this year are boarding her. At Beachfront Inn you cannot leave your dog in the room over a certain period of time. I think they have the rules on their website. Whitefish dunes had a dog friendly beach. If you are a AAA member they have a book with pet lodgings all over the U.S.

Mentioned in this post
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Friendly?

This is a tough call. Every year my hubby suggestions we bring our very-loved lab mix, and every year I decline. When we get away I don't want to be worrying and wondering about how he's doing, where to go to walk him etc. It's tempting, and I actually was thinking of trying it in a few weeks as I've heard of those dog friendly places. But my time is my time, sorry buddy. We're lucky that we've got people that will take him in their home. We haven't used a kennel in 2 years. It makes the guilt MUCH better.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Friendly?

We brought a Boston Terrier with us to the cabin rental. It was a good thing we could crate her because many of the places, beaches and parks did not allow dogs. She had plenty of room to roam around the woods where we stayed though.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Friendly?

Whitefish Dunes State Park has a dog friendly part of the beach.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Friendly?

This is a really old thread, but it may help somebody in the future. FYI we stayed at the AmericInn in Sturgeon Bay which allows dogs. We kenneled ours at Appletree (we were very happy with it) but we knew others who brought their dogs. Dogs can only be in the room when you're in the room. If you're gone for the day, they can't be left alone.

Some people were upset about this, but I can understand why. As both a dog lover and dog owner, I still dislike barking dogs. There's no reason other guests should be subjected to a dog left all day barking in a room. If anyone brings a dog, make sure you know the rules of the area and the lodging.

Mentioned in this post
Sturgeon Bay
Sturgeon Bay
Door County, WI
Reply to: Dog Friendly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ephraim