We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

Planning a trip to Door County this summer. I know there's lots to do in terms of shopping and eating and just poking around. Also interested in Penninsula State Park, the ferry to Washington Island and Rock Island, and probably more. I'm just not sure how much time these things all take up and whether 3 days would be plenty of time or if 4 days would really be better. We'll have about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive to get there. Any advice as to how much time to allow and also any favorite places to see/do?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

I am very interested in this question, also! So, thought I'd bump it to the top.......ANYONE, info please!! :)

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

Washington Island ferry will take most of the day. You need to drive to the tip (Gilles Rock), cross, spend some time sightseeing and return. Penninsula park is very big and is situated right in Fish Creek--depending what you want to do you can spend an hour or days there. I think 3-4 days is plenty for door county. Big issue is weather--if it rains, there's a lot less to do. Ferry to rock island is separate and its a park whereas people live and work on Washington Island. They are different experiences. If you want to see Washington Island, then 4 days is probably better than 3 in my opinion--otherwise 3 is plenty to get the door county flavor.

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
379 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

Are you traveling with children?

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

No kids, this will be an adults-only trip! However, we do have 3 children (4 1/2 and younger) and may make Door County our destination for another trip with them and other family members...so if you have ideas of things to do with kids, they are welcome, as well.

Lovely Midwest
Level Contributor
379 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

I would take 4 days and enjoy your time with out the kids. Between the wineries, Penninsula State Park, Washington Island, carriage rides in Eprhaim, theater in the park, etc..you can keep yourselves busy!

For you trip with kids, you need to make sure you take them to PC Junction. They've added free pedal cars this year to ride while you wait for your table. Be sure to visit the Farm in Sturgeon Bay, Wilsons Ice Cream parlor in Ephraim, Al Johnson's to see the goats on the roof, and play at one of the beaches.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

Definitely 4 days minimum. I LOVE Door County and try to go every year--we spend a week. Lucky you to be 3-4 hours away!

We went to Washington Island last year and I wish I would have budgeted more time for it. We started at about 11:00 AM and it wasn't enough time. My favorite part of Washington Island was Schoolhouse Beach--it doesn't have sand, it has smooth rocks. It might be fun to rent mopeds to get around the island.

Peninsula State Park is beautiful and has lots of activities. We rented bikes right outside the park and had a great time. They also have a swimming beach and walking trails.

I really like Whitefish Dunes State Park as well, because half of their swimming beach is dog-friendly. And don't miss Cave Point County Park which is near Whitefish Dunes--it has beatiful limestone bluffs.

You'll want to take a little time to view the lighthouses, the Cana Island Lighthouse for sure.

I really enjoyed the Ridges Sanctuary--walking through and enjoying the wildflowers and scenery.

Have a great time!

7. Re: Door County -- 3 day or 4 day weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Fish Creek