We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental question...

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental question...

Hi!

We'll be renting a car at Green Bay airport, (have to use airport rental due to timing) visiting friends there, then taking a tour of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I've noticed there's a big price difference between Alamo and Avis. (I have discount coupons for both from Costco) Is anyone familiar with these companies? Is there a big service difference? Are the cars much older and beat up at Alamo?

I would usually go for the cheaper, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on a country road waiting for rescue too long!

Thanks for any insight! :-)

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental question...

The agenies are all pretty much the same. Alamo is a larger company, so they'd have the same quality of cars as Avis. The main issue is that Alamo is a LOT more strict on their rental policies.

*puts on travel-business-related hat*

Main issue is that they will not allow anyone to rent a car at the airport using a debit card. So, with a lot of people using debit cards now instead of credit cards, Alamo has a TON more cars available than Avis.

*takes off hat*

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental question...

Thanks for the reply... that's interesting.

Do you know if Alamo would let me choose a car when I get there even if I've reserved one online? It's hard for me to know what I'd want to drive until I see how big it is etc. I can't tell from the photos on the web! I've been trying to keep my eye out on the road... it's amazing how many "non-big 3" cars are in my area!

Thanks again!

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental question...

Cars are not rented by brand, they are rented by size. Both Alamo and Avis have size guides on their web sites. You pick the size (class) when you reserve.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental question...

Normally there's not a problem. Most of the time, they ask you if you want to upgrade, anyway. Only time you may have an issue is if you're going during a Packer game weekend.

Also, don't be afraid to call the agencies and ask them what they have. Most agencies only work with one, maybe two car makers at the most. For example, if you drive a Pontiac Grand Prix, and want to get a car like that, call the agency. They should be able to give you an idea of what kind of car they have that'd be in the same category.

5. Re: Car rental question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Green Bay
Recent Conversations