We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

Arlington
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

I am coming up this weekend for the Boys and Packers game. I have had my room since August but have kind of dragged getting the air taken care of. I have a committment in DFW so I have to travel Sunday am so my issue is this. I can fly into Milwaukee or Ohare in Chicago. The Chicago flight would arrive around 10:30am non stop and allow me plenty of time drive wise to get there. From what I can tell 4 hours tops maybe less on a Sunday at least until you get to Milwaukee. As far as Milwaukee from what I have read it is about 2 hours or so. The flight is not non stop and arrives around 1pm. Is the traffice really that bad driving up on a game day? Should I expect it to take longer? I really have no idea. On the map it looks like I would be fine either way but I need a traffic update on what to expect. Any help would be great on what to expect drive wise. Thanks! Last minute airfare to GRB yikes!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
516 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

I-294 north out of O'Hare and I-94 from the Wisconsin border heading north to Milwaukee is still under construction. Although it continues to improve, crews have been working on weekends to try to finish up some of the work before the bad weather sets in. O'Hare to Milwaukee on a good day could be 50 minutes...if construction crews are working there is no way to tell what lanes or how many may be closed. Also, getting in and out of O'Hare will not be as easy or as fast as getting through Milwaukee airport. Plan on at least a half hour to 45 minutes to get from the gate at O'Hare to your rental car and on to I-294. Someone from Milwaukee can best advise you on travel times from Milwaukee north.

Arlington
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

Thanks! I made the drive in about 50 minutes about 10 years ago but was not aware of the construction. That update helps. Maybe they will take Sunday off! ha ha!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

Wow, talk about cutting it close.

This may be a stupid question, but have you looked at flights into Green Bay or Appleton. Both have airports with limited flights, but you could get lucky.

Personally I would be more concerned about a connecting flight than you appear to be given your time constraints. Given your situation I would opt for the direct flight to Chicago despite the fact that nothing ever seems to go as planned at ORD. I think a direct flight to ORD is a better bet than a connecting flight to MKE.

Here's a hint on driving from O'Hare north. If you run into some construction delay on I-94 north of O'Hare you can go east to US Hwy 41, which reconnects with I-94 at the Wisconsin border. Take a look at a map. That could save your day if they have some weird kind of extra lane closure on a weekend, which sometimes happens and traffic comes to a stand still.

Arlington
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

Yes I have looked into it and my two concerns are A) I can get to GRB at 1:50pm with game time at 3:15. It has two connections I think but I need to hope for good weather and no other delays to make it on time. That arrival would give me just enough time to get to the hotel change and then cab it to the game or shuttle should the Holiday Inn Downtown offer that. B) The Appleton arrival is around 2pm and I may really cut it close. I might fly out of Appleton but If I can avoid renting a car that would be great so I need a way to get to Appleton on Monday, I guess a cab.

The flights that connect go thru Ohare and the two hours I spend there I could already be two hours up the road and make it around the same time as the flight. It would be easier to fly into the area but commuter airlines being like they are I am not sure I can count on all going smooth. I almost missed kickoff in Tampa in September because of an hour plus delay on American so that also is a worry. Anyway any more help I would welcome.

Dan

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

As long as you don't get stuck with delays, you should be fine flying into GRB. My only concern is if you can even get a cab. I've never needed a cab on game day, so I can't tell you.

As far as travel times? I'd say up until you get to Green Bay, should be like an hour and a half or something like that if you don't stop anywhere.

6. Re: Driving up from ORD/MKE and traffic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 05:19