We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Amarillo, Texas

Which Green Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canyon, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Driving From Amarillo, Texas

We are going about the daunting task of driving to Green Bay in January. We are from the south where any time it snows, everyone buys all the water in the grocery store (absolutely crazy). Im wondering if it happens to snow that weekend, are the roads well maintained? Also, do you recommend chains?

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
930 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Amarillo, Texas

How are your winter driving skills? If you know to drive with traffic and not accelerate or brake quickly when the roads are slippery, you will not need chains. You WILL want to have salt or cat litter for traction, a shovel and warm clothes and good boots in the trunk, in case some OTHER idiot drives poorly and forces you off the road.

And you will want to be prepared to spend a few hours or an entire night in a truck stop or a motel if the roads get closed due to blizzard-like conditions.

The good news is that people up here are much kinder than people in Texas, and if you get stuck or stranded, there will be people willing to help you. That's why I stay in Wisconsin - the people in the upper Midwest are much better at getting along than anywhere else in the US that I have been.

Amarillo gets some pretty fierce storms, too, so plan for the worst, and you will probably get through without any problems. I have driven from here to the East Coast and back many times in December and January. My best advice is to think of it as a fun adventure, and you won't get mad when things get a little weird......

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
995 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Amarillo, Texas

No, you won't need chains!!! Why, the other day, I saw one of them there Wisconsin roads was actually paved! Had stripes painted on it and everythin'! Why, next thing ya know they might even widen the roads so two cars can pass, and I heard Milwaukee has one o' them new fangled red yellow green lights at the corner.

Seriously, just point the car north and drive. Be sure you have warm jackets, boots, gloves, blanket and some water INSIDE the car, throw a shovel in the trunk, be sure your cell phone is charged up. If the weather is bad don't try to be a hero, get a room and wait it out.

Have a fun trip!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Amarillo, Texas

I am pretty sure chains are illegal here. They are still used in the mountains, but not at all that I know of in the Midwest. Front wheel drive vehicles (or 4 wheel drive SUVs) with the standard tires that come on all cars these days are the norm around here.

Best advice is to keep up with the weather forecast and hope for the best. If we get heavy snow to the point that plows can't keep up traffic will only move at 20 to 30 mph, so what's the point of driving all day to go a couple hundred miles? At that point you might as well wait it out and drive the ext day.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving From Amarillo, Texas

you never know what to expect for weather in WI...generally the third week in January it usually is bitter cold so besides snow you might contend with doors that freeze or cars that don't want to start as quickly as usual. Good clothing, extra blankets, as suggested is a good idea. I don't know what time in January you're planning. You may not even see snow except some on the ground but being prepared is the best thing. Four wheel drive is good. In the midst of the storm can sometimes be the hairiest as they do try and get the plows out quick but there's lots of road. The main/major roads/highways are always your best options which I imagine you'd mostly be on those anyhow.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving From Amarillo, Texas

przyk is correct: snow chains, as well as studded tires, are illegal in the state of Wisconsin. They may or may not be in the other states you travel through. I think you can find that info on each state's Department of Transportation page.

As long as you have good all-terrain tires, you should be fine. If you want to find out about what's needed for winter weather in other states, And, along with your regular travel emergency kit, make sure you have a few blankets, in case something does happen and you're in your car for a bit. Just keep track of the weather, and drive carefully.

6. Re: Driving From Amarillo, Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 05:18