We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

Gillette, Wyoming
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

I am having my second baby in July and I am going to a Packers game in November (YAY!). My husband will be traveling with me and staying in the hotel (in Appleton) with the new baby and our toddler. We are driving from Wyoming so I will have our car to drive up to the game. I don't have anyone willing to commit this early to go with me to the game for sure, so I am planning on going to the game alone. The more I think about this the more nervous I get though. I know there will be a ton of fans there but I want the whole experience since this is sort of a one time only experience. I would love to do some tailgating and the works. How do I go about finding folks to meet up with and hang out? Anyone on here going to the MNF game against the Bears on November 4th?!?

Also, best hotel suggestions in Appleton? We want a nice place since we'll have the newborn. Thick walls and have to have a refrigerator for pumped milk.

THANKS!!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

While I can't help you with the hotel suggestions, I can help you with the alone thing.

In 2008, I visited Green Bay, and I came from the UK to make the trip, and I was also on my own.

I was very apprehensive at first, I didn't know what to expect. But what I found, was that every person I spoke to, was very accommodating, and so polite and pleasant, it was a breath of fresh air! I'm quite a shy person, so I don't tend to start up a convo with anybody. But people were chatting to me, asking where I had come from, asking who favorite players were etc, it was fantastic. So please, don't be nervous. You'll have a blast. And make sure you tailgate, I can guarantee you will find people to chat to.

If that fails, maybe try and find a Packers forum, and ask people on there if there is a meet up planned for the Bears game?

I'm heading to Green Bay again this year with my girlfriend, but it's for the Browns game.

But try not to worry, you#ll have a brilliant time. Enjoy it :)

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
153 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

Are you a member of any groups, social groups like Lionesses, or a member of a church or work for a nationwide company where you may be able to network with someone before the game and agree to meet up? Tailgating is an incredible fun experience, particularly in Green Bay.

As far as where to stay, I suggest you book as soon as you can. Being a bears game (Chicago) that is close enough that plenty of people drive up from Illinois. All NFL games mean high hotel utilization rates. Bear games and Vikings games tend to be amongst the highest in Green Bay. Being a Monday night game a lot of Bears fans will spend the night in hotels. The schedule is out so it’s too late to get an economical rate. At this point I suggest you take what you can get and not delay.

Have a fun time!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

Yes PLEASE book ASAP, that will be an extremely popular game, I assume you already have your ticket too?? As far as recommendations, check TA for Appleton. Paper Valley is very nice, but is usually used by the out of town team, so may be booked up already with them and fans.

I'm glad to hear from someone else how helpful and friendly we Cheeseheads are, I try and tell people, but obviously, I'm a little biased. I'd like to see you enjoy the game, but do plan ahead. Remember, this is a night game, so you'll have a bit of a drive from Appleton to GB at night. Sorry, we don't have tickets for that night (we're Milwaukee ticket holders, meaning they go back to my uncle from Milwaukee when the Pack used to play there. We only get 3 home games). I'd love to see you experience all you can, but no suggestions on the rest of the plan at this point.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

Green Bay is a great town. You will be just fine by yourself. I know lots of people who go to games alone. As far as tailgating, all you really need to do is walk around and talk to people in the lot. The season ticket holders are great. We always meet new people and have no problem finding someone to "party" with. We have even tailgated at the person's house that we parked at - and we didn't even know them!

Enjoy yourself. As far as Appleton, look for a hotel near the mall. That will give you great access to the freeway and something for your husband to do. I used to live in Appleton, it is a great town.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

Tere is also an organized Packer Tailgate. For $27 you get food, music etc. That's always an option.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

There are both private and public tailgate parties -- there are public parties set up in various parking lots, where everyone is welcome. I would have no hesitation about going alone -- it's very fun to roam around and watch the fans. When my husband and I went to our first game [we are from Oregon], my Green Bay family members laughed at us because we went to the stadium hours and hours early -- it was very fun! The pro shop is an experience unto itself. Have fun!

Green Bay WI
Level Contributor
129 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

In order to hook up with a group you may want to check if a bar in Appleton has a tailgate and bus to the game package. You won't really want to drive due to the traffic and then you will be traveling with a group. Check out "The Bar" in Appleton- they are a sports bar.

Carnforth, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

i went in december/January 2011/12 and it was a great experiance. everyone is really friendly so being alone will not be a problem. Go packers!

9. Re: Going to a Packer game alone. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:17