We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

We are flying from Australia and in to Chicago on 26 Nov. Going to a Packers game is top of the list, tickets bought for the 29th.

Besides $400/person flights from Chicago what is easiest way to get to Green Bay? Have researched driving, how are the roads in November for an inexperienced USA driver (we drive on the other side of the road over here...lol)?

We have two children who understand more about NFL than your average Aussie kids, brainwashed Packers fans!

With the game on Sunday should we plan to get to Green Bay on the Friday or Saturday?

Husband just came in with latest update that they may retire Favre's number at our game, he's excited, I'm cheering for him.

Must admit I am a little excited too....hoping to walk around tail gate area and soak up the atmosphere! And enjoy some bbqing.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

Welcome to Packer Nation! I don't want to burst your bubble about Favre's number but there's been no news regarding that here. Discussion's always in the background but some recent comments by Packers staff (Thompson? McCarthy? I can't remember) is that it will happen, maybe in the next year or two. So other than that, I think you'll have a terrific time. If you want to come to Green Bay, it will give you a little time to settle in. Arriving Saturday may make things a bit rushed, so if you have the time, take it.

GENERALLY (no promises being made here) we don't get much snow in November or early December. The odds are very good for safe travel. Once you get out of Chicago, it's a relatively easy drive. It will be heading north from one interstate to another. If you want stops along the way, Milwaukee and Sheboygan would be fine. Prepare for cold weather, but it won't be frigid like a late December or January game. If you go back through old posts you'll find plenty of info that will help you. Keep asking away.

South Milwaukee...
Level Contributor
275 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

If you're worried about the drive from Chicago to Green Bay, you could always take a train. If you go on Amtrak's website, you can see the train schedule and check prices. There is a higher speed train with no stops between Chicago and Milwaukee. Just an option to keep in mind. :-)

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

I don't think there is a train from Chicago to Green Bay. You can take Amtrak from Chicago to Milwaukee, and then take a bus from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

Amtrak between Chicago and Milwaukee is not a high-speed train, and it makes at least a couple of stops on the way.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

traffic and weather permitting, drive time from chicago (from ORD?) to green bay takes only about 3 hours or so. from what i've heard, it might be prudent to get to green bay a day early---driving up on game day might mean sitting in traffic along route I-43 between milwaukee and GRB..... there is some fairly heavy construction along I-94 between the illinois border and milwaukee, mostly a long the southern end of that corridor.... for somebody used to driving on the wrong;-) side of the road, the freeway interchange ramps near downtown milwaukee can be quite confusing, even for people used to driving on the right side......

so, that all said, it might be a good idea to look into the AMTRAK/ bus option.... i would still at least try to get to MKE a day early, then take the bus on game day (should take about 2 hours, lite traffic), or do the whole thing the day before.... i don't think i'd chance the entire journey on game day....

OR, rent a car, and take it easy.... help your husband drive by being his navigator and second set of eyes---this helped us a lot when we drove in south africa..... traffic on saturdays, especially that time of year, is USUALLY lighter......

5. Re: Kids have Disney & Husband has The Packers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:21