We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Weekend

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
Labor Day Weekend

We (my husband and myself)will be spending Labor Day weekend in Lake Geneva. Is there anything special going. Nothing is listed on the Lake Geneva Site. We haven't been to Lake Geneva in over 30 years, so we're looking forward to our little get-away.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
522 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Weekend

The big thing going on over Labor Day weekend is the Walworth County Fair in Elkhorn, which is about a 20 min. drive from Lake Geneva. It is the 160th anniversary of the fair. In addition to lots of farm-related attractions, there is also harness racing, demolition derbies and grand stand entertainment. Here's a website www.walworthcountyfair.com

Here are some other ongoing events in the area of Lake Geneva, Delavan, etc.

Take an ice cream social, dinner or mailboat cruise around Lake Geneva. For 2 hours you will hear some history and see mansions on the lake. www.cruiselakegeneva.com

Back to the Sock Hop show is playing at Millies, located just south of Delavan on Hwy.O. Millies is restaurants and shops in an English garden setting.

www.milliesshows.com

Sound of Music is playing at the Fireside Dinner/ Theater in Fort Atkinson, located north of Lake Geneva. www.firesidetheatre.com

The Dancing Horse Show, located on Hwy 50 just past Hwy 67 as you head from Lake Geneva to Delavan, is a very popular show where riders and horses perform to music and lights. It offers just the show or the show with dinner. www.thedancinghorses.com

Another fun thing to do is to ride the East Troy Electric Railroad. It takes you on the back roads of Wisconsin, with conductors that give a bit of history. If you ride it to the Elegant Farmer, you can do some shopping at this farm stand/deli/bakery. The Elegant Farmer www.elegantfarmer.com is famous for its apple pie baked in a paper bag, which was featured on a Food Network show.

Lake Geneva is usually crowded and even more so on holiday weekends. There are plenty of shops and dining options to spend time there. My above suggestions would give you the chance to get out of the crowds and still have some fun options within a short (15-20min.) drive of Lake Geneva.

Have a great weekend, whatever you choose to do.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Weekend

You might want to try the mailboat tour offered through September 15th www.cruiselakegeneva.com/walworthmb.php

It has been featured in tv/other publications. We have yet to go but have heard great things. Hopefully next summer. Enjoy your trip to the area and post about it I would love to hear more about the area.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Weekend

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will look at the websites and make some plans.

lake geneva wi.
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day Weekend

check out aerialadventureslg.com

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day Weekend

Thanks, AerialakeGen,

It looks like a lot of fun. We may just look into this when we arrive.

6. Re: Labor Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:17