We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

Which Milwaukee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

I am coming to milwaukee with my boyfriend in a few weeks and we were planning a special night out. I had originally made a reservation at Moceans- and was surprised when I recently couldn't find their menu online (which I had looked at when I made the reservation!) I then discovered an article that they had in fact closed!!! Glad to have figured that out before the big night out!

Does anyone have suggestions for a nice/romantic restaurant that won't break the bank? It doesn't need to be fancy although it is a special night out so we are willing to entertain any suggestions. Just very good food, good atmosphere (nothing too trendy). We will most likely be staying at the Residence Inn downtown so walking or short cab ride distance would be great.

thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

I did not know Moceans closed.

When I think of romantic dining in Milwaukee I think of the Pasta Tree. It is on Farwell Av just north of downtown. It is small and has an interesting Italian menu. Entrees are around $20.00.

Coquette Cafe may be another option. It is a French Country restaurant and, of course everything French is romantic.

There are many other options. Hopefully others will provide their favorites.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

The Pasta Tree is indeed voted as one of the most romantic restaurants in town. I disagree with that statement. The tables are so terribly close to one another, I find it hard to be romantic when I can reach out and literally touch the couple next to me.

I would recommend Lake Park Bistro for great food and service - a can't miss.

I second Coquette.

Bacchus has great atmosphere, is very close to the water, and if you beg you might be able to get seated in the outdoor covered section.

Carnevor, if you like steak.

The Savoy Room, in the old Shorecrest hotel, is also a great atmosphere, has a great history, and wonderful food.

You can find any of these menus online.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

To me the Pasta Tree has a very European feel. I think thats where the romantic connotation comes from. Even though the tables are close together I don't recall ever being distracted by our nearby neighbors, maybe I have just been lucky.

The one time I ate at Lake Park Bistro I found it loud and that distracted from the atmosphere for me. It's also a little further from downtown. These are of course very subjective opinions and I totally respect Ms Milltown's opinion. The restaurants she suggests are very popular, so obviously others agree with her too.

I may have overrected to Marie's statement of looking for a restaurant "that won't break the bank". Since she was planning to go to Moceans I think the other recommendations may fit into your budget. I am not sure about Bacchus. That may be a little pricier.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

Pasta Tree's food is average at best.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

Thank you for your opinion milw.

6. Re: romantic restaurant with nice atmosphere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 05:24